Apple II Schnapper...

• This is your opportunity to become the owner of an:

** Apple II A2S1-0868 rev.0 **

** very early low serial number system with authentic parts **

** one of the finest and earliest Apple II computers still in existence **

** The Apple II marks Apple's first launch of a personal computer aimed at a consumer market **

** The Apple II is an iconic 8-bit home computer, one of the very first highly successful mass produced microcomputer products, designed primarily by Steve Wozniak **

** Along with the Commodore PET 2001 and the Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80, Byte magazine referred to these as the 1977 Trinity of personal computing **

All information, price and photo’s can be found here:

https://www.classiccomputersho…-BASIC-Steve-Wozniak.html

• Sehr günstig ...

... würde eigentlich auch prima in den ebay-thread passen. Die Bilder sind aber schön.

nachträgliche Amerkung: Achtung : enthält tatsächlich Ironie ; man bedenke immer das Reinald Grebe Lied "Die 90er" mit "...wir meinten alles ironisch, sogar die Ironie ..."

ist aber schon generell schwierig damit - und dazu die Empfehlung dieser kleinen DLFsendung

-- 1982 gab es keinen Raspberry Pi , aber Pi und Raspberries

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ThoralfAsmussen ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Das ist Ironie, oder?

Das ist eine interessante Frage. Zuerst habe ich auch gedacht "16.384€ für einen Apple II ist ein Gag". Ich bin aber kein Apple Experte, und wenn ich sehe für welche Beträge Geräte wie ein Apple I den Besitzer wechseln, bin ich unsicher.

Evtl. ist das Gerät ja aus irgendeinem Grund - der sich mir verschließt - der heilige Gral der Apple II Fangemeinde. Wer weiß was Apple Sammler und Jäger so antreibt. Ist evtl. was religiöses :bekehr:

• Der Preis ist ein Marketinginstrument! und es funktioniert!

Stellt man bei eBay einen Artikel für 1 Euro ein, dann erhält man einen realistischen Verkaufspreis, was Angebot und Nachfrage betrifft. Will ich diesen Preis aber "steuern", setze ich einen möglichst hohen Verkaufspreis ein und lasse die Möglichkeit des Preisvorschlages. Nicht wenige Interessenten sind von der ursprünglichen Preisvorgabe "impressed" und bieten dann mehr, als sie eigentlich bezahlen wollten. Nur um "nicht zu wenig zu bieten".

Ich vermute das auch hier bei dem Angebot. 16.000 Euro sind überzogen. Aber mit der Messlatte macht der Verkäufer klar, dass er

1) über den Wert eines Apple II informiert ist,

2) den Rechner nicht unter Preis verkaufen möchte (Abwehr von Schnäppchenjäger)

3) den heiligen Gral aller Apple II hat, den man sonst nie finden wird. Also schnell zuschlagen!

LG

• Der Rechner scheint soweit original zu sein. Die Tastatur ist auch die erste, die im Apple II verbaut wurde und kostet allein auch schon mal um die $1000. Netzteil und Ram passen auch. Das MB ist ebenfalls korrekt. Die CPU ist fraglich, da der Datumscode nicht sichtbar ist. Die Floppy ist etwas spät (SER. >2000) und der Monitor ist auch zu neu (eher II+ Zeit). Alles in allem ein schönes Stück und sicherlich mehr als 3000€ wert. Ob das Gerät jetzt aber >16000€ wert ist, ist fraglich. Für den Preis müsste mindestens der Monitor, der Floppy controller und die Floppy älter sein. Das Gerät stammt mit Sicherheit aus NL da die "Romca" Sachen zumindest aus der Region kommen :)

-Jonas

• Offizieller Beitrag

.. ja ein Schnapper - Herzschnapper :nixwiss::tüdeldü:

Wie gesagt, wenn dann sollte doch ein originaler, lumpiger Apple Monitor oder wenigstens zeitgemäß ein kleiner s/w 9" Würfel dabei sein ;)

Ebenso entsprechend Laufwerke. hach es ist immer wieder toll zu sehen wie dieses Treiben Höchstmaße annimmt :(

Ich stimme da Jonas zu, in die Richtung ~3000 könnte man den ggfls. einordnen aber naja, auch nur wenn alles hieb und stichfest wäre. Nuja, Soviel würd ich aber persönlich nicht ausgeben - klar, wenn man ein sehr frühes Modell wirklich will, dann wirds schon teuer - ich würde mich gern auch mit einem der aller letzten Revisionen begnügen ...die gibts eher mal zu moderaten Kursen, weit weg der 16k ;)

Grüße,

Marcus

• I am the seller of this Apple II.

Thank you for your comments and free advertising (good or bad, I don't mind).

The price is non-negotiable and is certainly not a laugh. In fact, I don't mind keeping this computer and taking it off the market.

All information can be found on my website. It is not just another Apple II.

Indeed, if you just want a random Apple II, then you can find many less costly options.

By the way, just compare mine with this one and draw your own conclusions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early…149df5:g:rfMAAOSwLnBXVEkx

I've actually sold another working Apple II, but a later revision 4, about 2 years ago, and it got sold for a substantial amount of money. And if you do a bit of research on the web, then you can find reports of early Apple II computers, sold (some) years ago, also for substantial sums of money.

The Synertek 6502 CPU is also from 1977. I have cleaned the CPU, ROM's and sockets before testing (with special non-conductive contact spray), because the pins of the chips become dirty over time (not just dust, but sticky carbon residue / oxidation). Unfortunately the silkscreened text on the cpu seems to wear off very quickly (learnt my lesson and didn't touch it anymore..). It is extremely special to have an Apple II with all 1977 date code basic chips inside.

Back in the 70's when this computer was sold, there simply was no Apple monitor yet available. Apple's first monitor is the Monitor III, which was sold together with the later Apple III. Even an Apple Disk II floppy drive wasn't available yet. People just used a tv set and a cassette recorder: http://dogic.blogspot.nl/2006_09_24_archive.html Although there were some 3rd party monitors available in the 70's, finding a working one is a problem these days. I actually think the included Philips monitor fits the set pretty well.

classiccomputershop.com

• Hi,

The Apple II you are willing to sell is indeed a nice specimen. There are some parts that make the expected price a bit unrealistic but you could be lucky to find someone who is willing to pay the 16000€. I would expect a 70s closed circuit security monitor to be used with a '77 Apple II. The Philips monitor that you include is at least from 1980. The Floppy cannot be from 1977 as you stated, but in 1978 there was the floppy available (13 sector version). in 1979 the floppy controller was upgraded to 16 sectors. Your Floppy controller and drive are most likely within specs. I have an early floppy controller and two <1000 Ser. drives with my 1978 A2. My A2 is about 10000 units apart from yours :)

The upper 32k of memory were added later in '79 and there are no original memory select blocks in your sale.

Things that are really nice:

- Original PSU

- Original Paddles (very hard to come by)

- very nice upper case (as far as i can see)

- original very early keyboard (cherry version?)

- (1) early floppy drive

Things that can (should) be be fixed:

- Monitor (i may have 2 or 3 from 1977 that was commonly used)

- Apple 16k select blocks (i may have some original left)

- cassette recorder from the 70s with cables

Things that can be fixed but are expensive:

- 1977 upper 32k memory (i would have to search through my chips to see if i had some left)

- 1976 or 1977 CPU (yours should be a '77 CPU ... i don't have one of those left)

Things that cannot be fixed:

- holes/modifications in bottom plate.

- original packaging

If you want to get a premium of 16000€ for your machine, it has to be perfect.

The missing mask on the CPU is indeed very vexing.

Anyways, it is nice to see a Apple II that is in such a good condition (at first glance). I would try to get the Apple II to a state like from '77. Everything else like the Floppy and controller as well as the upper 32k of memory would be additions. If you can create a authentic 1977 package with the Apple II in its center, you may have a higher chance to get this computer sold.

-Jonas

• Well how about a A2S1-0082 sold for $12.000 (Oct 07, 2017 , 5:46AM) the serial is an order of magnitude lower than yours...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-o…nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That one has even the vent less case!
    The ventless case makes it extremey rare. Even the non-original PSU and keyboard are of any problem there :)

I would get abround 800-1500€ for my A2S1 that has a 10.000-ish serial.

Yours should be around 3000€-6000€ depending on the collector.

By the way, just compare mine with this one and draw your own conclusions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early…149df5:g:rfMAAOSwLnBXVEkx

Buy NOW!

:)

• Schon ein Wadenbeisser unser Jonas ;)

• Thanks so much for your valuable comment.

The Apple Disk II floppy drive came available in the second half of 1978. The one included is a slightly later model, probably from '79, but still quite an early drive with the multi color cable and the controller must also be from the same year or so with the tin contacts (instead of gold).

The monitor is from ca. 1985. I like the green phosphor screen, for me it just makes it look more attractive than a black/white monitor.

My Apple II is equipped with 48K and indeed 32K was added later. Memory was very expensive back then. I have the price list and you'll be shocked when you see what it once cost in Dutch 'guldens'. In fact, 16K was quite a lot of memory for a home computer in the late 70's.

You wrote: ''there are no original memory select blocks in your sale''. That's right and I have just edited my sales description. I initially thought that they were covers on top of the memory select blocks, but what I have seem to be aftermarket memory blocks in sockets. The good news is that I do have spare original Apple II memory select blocks. The new owner will get them for free if desired, together with some other spare parts.

The Synertek 6502 is really from 1977 (I believe week 32). The silkscreened text on the cpu is just very fragile after all these years and wipes off very easily if you start cleaning the pins of the cpu. I'm not going to discuss this, I will bring the new owner in contact with the first owner, to proof that it is the original cpu. Yes I have seen some revision 0 system boards with a ceramic cpu, but they might have even lower serial numbers (and of course there are many boards in existence with 'donor parts').

I am very honest in my description of this computer and I know the first owner. This Apple II is not 100% perfect and it's certainly not a new computer. But when was the last time that any of you have seen a perfect 40 year old Apple II revision 0 for sale? I can't remember it.

Overall my Apple II is one of the finest and earliest examples still in existence. Furthermore the new owner gets a lot of additional original documentation, software and hardware. Yes, there are some 'ventless case models' in existence, but you're going to have an extremely hard time finding a 100% original working one for sale and if you do find one, then it will cost you new car money as well.

The € 16,384.00 (symbolic for 16K of RAM) that I ask for it is well worth it. With the current trend of rising classic computer prices you'll regret over 5-10 years that you didn't buy this one. Yes, I know I'm a salesman, but mark my words :prof: :saint: :P (this is not my first Apple II and I have many years of experience trading computers like these).

classiccomputershop.com

• Just to end this discussion about the CPU, here's one of the pictures that I still have before I cleaned the CPU, ROM's and sockets:

That looks like 1977 to me.

And if that's not good enough, then I have a spare '78 Synertek 6502 on stock as well.

classiccomputershop.com

• I can support your view that you have a very nice machine on hand. If you have spare parts that are part of you offer, you should show them as well. Most collectors are very interested in the small stuff that is hard to come by. I have seen bidder-wars over an early A2 keyboard in a late A2+.

If you have a original receipt or something similar, it would add to the authenticity. Original documents (like a manual or packing list) will add to the value. If you can recreate an original looking machine with the 'feel' of the original, there will be interested buyers.

A lot of the 'hype' about old computers is the emotional value. You must recreate a '77 image of an A2 with period correct hardware. It dosen't matter if this image is actually not realistic for the time.

The first impression counts.

I really hope you can actually sell your A2 for your desired price. It would make mine more valuable as well ;)

-Jonas

The good news is that I do have spare original Apple II memory select blocks. The new owner will get them for free if desired, together with some other spare parts.

I will bring the new owner in contact with the first owner, to proof that it is the original cpu.

I am very honest in my description of this computer and I know the first owner.

This Apple II is not 100% perfect and it's certainly not a new computer.