Compaq SLT/286

• Hello,

I have a Compaq 286 in wich I try to install a SSD. The original hard drive (Conner CP-3024) didn't work, so I started up with the Diagnostics/Setup diskette.

That works well. Then I saw on eBay an SSD, specially made by WD to replace (very) old hard drives.

When I plug it in, the laptop doesn't show anything (no light, no noise on the diskettedrive, no nothing).

Has anyone an idea how to make it work? Buying another Conner isn't a solution (too expensive...)

As you can see, I'm totaly new here ... I didn't find help anywhere.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello Wulp!

At first, welcome to our forum!

I am not sure if I have understood your issue completetly. You own an old laptop with a bad harddrive. The laptop works fine except for the harddrive issue. When you replace the 2.5" IDE Harddrive with the CF to IDE adapter, the laptop shows no sign of life, right?

Are you sure you have connected the CF to IDE adapter in the right direction?

Reagrds

Stephan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Toshi, the Conner CP-3024 seems to be a 3 1/2 Inch drive. At first i also thought about the power-connection of the harddisc :)

Right, according to https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/h…4-21MB-3-5-SL-IDE-AT.html it should be 3.5" size.

Do you have a male-male adapter as well? Normally, hard drives with 40 pin IDE connector have a male connector, not a female one as your adapter has.

• Hello,

Firtst of all: thanks for your replies.

Indeed: the (old) hard drive was 3.5", 21.4 MB.

To connect it I did cut the wires of the powerplug to connect the JST (connecting the motherboard) to the molex (CF).

I checked the connections more then once..

What concerns the 40 pins connector: I have an adapter, but I don't need it. The plug on the motherboard is male.

The hard drives you can use on the machine, are 'preset' (?) in the bios: + 10, 20, 30 and 70 MB.

I did try to install a hard drive from 120MB, but that didn't work. Because I had to do the Setup first, I wasn't able to start with an old Dos and to use for exemple Anydisk. Starting up with a DOS works, but Fdisk doesn't recognise a harddrive then.

What I am still happy for: after disconnecting the CF, the computer starts without problems. He then asks to run the diagnostics/setup, but after that it (still) works

And: English isn't my native language, but my German is worse...:fp::fp::fp:

• Hello, i have an old Compaq 286er SLT in good condition laying around but without Power Supply, so it is useless for me. But the built in 3,5 inch Conner 40 MB Drive is working just fine. I've hooked up the drive on my 386 Desktop to perform some tests. Just for the Case you need some replacement. I'am looking for an IBM XT Keyboard or 100% Compatible.

Kind Regards,

FD