Geschichte eines Alphatronic P2, der eine Reparatur (oder mehr) versucht.

• Actually the connector was 3,5 EUR plus 3,5 EUR shipping.

Maybe I should also replace the reset capacitor, I am not sure if the "manual reset" is fully equivalent.
    Can you post a picture of the CPU board showing which capacitor you actually replaced (and maybe also the capacity that you are using)? I have two CPU boards (the working one and the broken one), but they have quite different layout.

• Hallo helwie44 †. Vielen Dank für die Informationen und Ideen.

Ich glaube auch, dass es ein Problem mit der Tastatur-Kontroller-Karte gibt, oder vielleicht einige der Bausteine in der Tastatur-Board (aber auf diesem Fall sollte ich einen akustischen Piepton bekommen, oder?)

Heute möchte ich noch probieren, ob die Signale auf diese Bausteine normal aussehen. Ich habe auch im eBay einen Ersatz für die Tastatur Kontroller (Intel 8278) gefunden. Ich habe es sofort gekauft und es war schon geschickt. Mal sehen wie es gelingt. :)

• Well, I've made some new observations:

- The demuxers in the keyboard board seems to generate signals consistently.

- The i8278 is generating also good looking scan values for the demuxers.

- When a key is pressed on the keyboard, i8278 RL is going active as expected. The IRQ line of the 8278 goes high, but it never went low again. I understand it means nobody is reading the FIFO (the CPU should do it I guess).

In the keyboard controller board pin 23 of the i8278 is connected to an input of a 74LS04 hex inverter, and the inverted output goes to pin IR0 of the backplane. I've checked than whenever a key is pressed this backplane signal goes low (negative logic) to never return high again.

It seems to me that the request from the keyboard is reaching the backplane, but nobody is taking care of reading the keyboard (or maybe the keyboard board is just malfunctioning, but I don't think so). Now I need to understand how the interrupt logic works, and how the IR0-IR7 signals in the backplane are mapped to the CPU, and what to check on the CPU side. I've seen no INTR/INTA activity on key presses, but I'm not sure if IR0 should be routed here somehow.

Do you know how IR0-IR7 are related to the 8085? I think the problem could be there.

• Actually the connector was 3,5 EUR plus 3,5 EUR shipping.

Maybe I should also replace the reset capacitor, I am not sure if the "manual reset" is fully equivalent.
    Can you post a picture of the CPU board showing which capacitor you actually replaced (and maybe also the capacity that you are using)? I have two CPU boards (the working one and the broken one), but they have quite different layout.

That is a good price. Do you mind sharing the buyer contact (in case it's allowed here)? :)

Regarding the reset capacitor, it's the one near the CPU top side (green tantalum capacitor marked as ",1 35V". It is a 100nF capacitor but reading the specs of the Intel 8085 it seemed to me a bit too low and tried with a 1uF electrolytic one (as seen in the aforementioned 8085 manual) to see if it made any difference in my first tests.

What I don't know if it would work with the original one (actually the measurement I get from it is near its nominal value).

• Now, this is really confusing… :)

I've tried to follow the backplane IR0 connection into the CPU board, to find just what I'm showing in the included photo.

On the components side there's nothing coming out of IR0-IR7, in the tracks side, as you can see, IR0-IR7 have all a short track coming down and left but… it seems there is no connection to anything. is this expected or do I miss something in my CPU board? Could you check how are yours? Or aren't IR0-IR7 routed to the CPU board at all? Doesn't make sense to me, since IR0 is where the keyboard controller IRQ is mapped out, so...

• Thanks!
    Now I am completely confused with the CPU card picture. Both of my CPU cards actually have 3 EPROMs, but yours shows only 2 and the space for the third socket is empty. Maybe this explains the ".2", i.e. computer complains that only EPROM 0 and 1 are found and 2 is missing? I might check with my CPU card if I find some time...

I got the connector via Ebay, sold by "compon07" (seem to be sold out at the moment). But there are other sellers on Ebay with similar pricing, e.g. chipmarktgmbh (https://www.ebay.at/itm/090413…ldet-HARTING/223531714357).

• Thanks!
    Now I am completely confused with the CPU card picture. Both of my CPU cards actually have 3 EPROMs, but yours shows only 2 and the space for the third socket is empty. Maybe this explains the ".2", i.e. computer complains that only EPROM 0 and 1 are found and 2 is missing? I might check with my CPU card if I find some time...

I got the connector via Ebay, sold by "compon07" (seem to be sold out at the moment). But there are other sellers on Ebay with similar pricing, e.g. chipmarktgmbh (https://www.ebay.at/itm/090413…ldet-HARTING/223531714357).

No. 2 EPROM (2K + 4K) instead of 3 (2K + 2K + 2K) is typical of the Spanish model. Regional variations are not just the same computer with different character EPROM and keyboard. There are slight differences in the design of the different parts. I know first hand because the Italian unit is different from both the Spanish and the German one. Some boards may not even be interchangeable.

When I tried to list all retro systems I have at home, the "The message is too long, must be under 500 characters" error appears! :lol:

• Thanks!

Probably a matter of different revisions (mine is a CAAA06 and one of yours seems to be a CAAA02) and probably using different EPROM capacities? Mine has a AM2716 (2Kbytes) and a HN462532 (4Kbytes).

Vielen Dank! :)

• And looking into this photo of one of your CPU cards, it seems that IR0-IR7 can be controlled by solder jumpers, but none of them is set... even more confusing. :)

But maybe this is the same idea in my card, but on the solder side, because there is a vertical track going to nowhere that maybe it plays the same role. But I don't understand how come the keyboard board routes the IRQ to IR0 and then the CPU doesn't have this pin routed. Maybe it's not even needed...

Regarding the capacitor for the reset circuit, you can find it by looking for one attached on the positive pin to the CPU pin 36 and the negative pin to ground.

• Still, one of them could be failing...

Wait. The keyboard doesn't work, right? Seems that nobody is taking care of it. Maybe the Keyboard and display control ROM is failing. You could check whose of them is and test it.

When I tried to list all retro systems I have at home, the "The message is too long, must be under 500 characters" error appears! :lol:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jlopez ()

• Just for comparison I am attaching the "backside" picture of my CPU board. Maybe the keyboard is (or should be) being polled by the CPU, hence IRQs would probably not be needed. I think this was a common approach in such old computers, but probably helwie44 † can check/confirm for the P2.

With the EPROM size I agree, I just couldn't read the type name in your picture. In total it must be 6K, but of course 4K+2K is also possible ;)

Actually this is the backside picture of the second CPU card (lower picture in my previous post), which is working. The upper CPU card shown in my previous post (with the "missing" solder jumpers) is not working at all, even if I replace CPU and ROMs with the working ones from the other card.

• Just for comparison I am attaching the "backside" picture of my CPU board. Maybe the keyboard is (or should be) being polled by the CPU, hence IRQs would probably not be needed. I think this was a common approach in such old computers, but probably helwie44 † can check/confirm for the P2.

With the EPROM size I agree, I just couldn't read the type name in your picture. In total it must be 6K, but of course 4K+2K is also possible ;)

Actually this is the backside picture of the second CPU card (lower picture in my previous post), which is working. The upper CPU card shown in my previous post (with the "missing" solder jumpers) is not working at all, even if I replace CPU and ROMs with the working ones from the other card.

Thanks for that. It's basically the same layout regarding IR0-IR7. It seems a topic to research. :)

Some minutes ago I tried to plug in the 48K RAM card, just to see if it made any difference on the reset message and one of its tantalum capacitors exploded and got fire. I switched everything down and put the fire out as soon as possible and removed the card. I'm sure I tested those capacitors for shortcuts some weeks ago but still, I suppose these old tantalum capacitors are like dormant bombs. :(

I was just wondering why should I need to try this card now, but actually I will eventually try to plug it in to see if it worked, so, this was something it couldn't be avoided, I'm afraid. :(

Computer went dead again. It seems that the 12V line of the power supply is broken and let's hope that is the only damage. That was enough for today friends.

• My 48K RAM card also had 2 defective capacitors (luckily without "explosions"), but I removed them and now it works. I am confident that your's will also still work. Good luck with the next attempts!

• I hope there are only a few dead caps. If not, we'll see...

Everything in this computer can be replaced, except for the ROM content, which must be written. The only backup for the Spanish version came from my machine but I cannot guarantee my ROMs are the same as yours. I recommend you to make backups in order to avoid further risks. If our ROMs appear to be different and yours are killed, there would be trouble...

The truth is that I was happy to hear about it "half-working". It's sad to hear it has fallen again.

Good luck, I'll be following closely.

• "Not used in the P1 and P2 systems"

"Not implemented in the basic models P1, P2".

• EPROMs

Wie bereits bei den vorherigen Beiträgen zu sehen ist wurden unterschiedliche CPU- cards von TA verbaut. Der USER netmercer hat z.B. bei seiner P2 mit einem 4kB EPROM (ab 0000h -2kb MOS-Code + ab 0800h Floppy Driver-Code) und der weiterer 2 kB EPROM (ab 1000h Display- mit Keyboard Driver) belegt.

Oder je 3 mal je 2kB EPROMs Standard MOS (TMS 2716 mit -Spannungen beachten!!) zu 6kB!

Key Statusport wird gepollt.
    Im MOS werden bei der Tastenverarbeitung nicht über Interrupts abgewickelt! Das Tastenport (Statusport) wird im MOS gepollt. Vom Layout evtl. anderer CPU Cards wäre es möglich ( z.B. 8259 IR-chip später?) IRQ abarbeiten.

Just for comparison I am attaching the "backside" picture of my CPU board. Maybe the keyboard is (or should be) being polled by the CPU, hence IRQs would probably not be needed. I think this was a common approach in such old computers, but probably helwie44 can check/confirm for the P2.

Genau wie gpospi es beschreibt.

• Key Statusport wird gepollt.
    Im MOS werden bei der Tastenverarbeitung nicht über Interrupts abgewickelt! Das Tastenport (Statusport) wird im MOS gepollt. Vom Layout evtl. anderer CPU Cards wäre es möglich ( z.B. 8259 IR-chip später?) IRQ abarbeiten.

Danke helwie44 †! Denn vermute ich, dass es vielleicht ein Problem mit der Portdecodierung ist. Nachdem ich ein anderes Netzteil bekomme, will ich diese Möglichkeiten untersuchen.

• P2 alphaTronic TA selbst in Gang gebracht:

Link zu einem Beitrag netmercer und von helwie44 † mir: Lesenswert.

a) CPU war auch ein Hardpatch auf der RSC 232 V24 - mit externem Takt gewesen

In denen Beiträgen sind wertvolle Hintergrundinformationen ( um die volle V24 der mittler 25 pol. Anschlussbuchse) selbst zu tunen!

b) CPU auch mit nur 2 EPROMs 4kB + 2kB = 6kb MOS -Code

P2U_MOS_ROM_6K_CAAP-2500-2601.BIN.txt

Auch in diesen folgenden Beiträgen findet man eine binär MOS Datei zur Sicherung.

Oder wie man sich selbst bei einer laufender P2 eine binäre Sicherungsdatei anlegt und dann sichern oder an andere versenden können.

Ich hoffe das über den Link im FORUM so geht.

LINK hier:

Alphatronic P2

• My 48K RAM card also had 2 defective capacitors (luckily without "explosions"), but I removed them and now it works. I am confident that your's will also still work. Good luck with the next attempts!

I'm back on the road. :)

Finally the power supply was not the problem. I prepared a new one today, connected everything and was astonished to find that there was still no 12V on the backplane. :fp:

Checked the power supply alone and I got the 12V (what is going on?). Finally the problem was that the backplane 12V track between slots 3 and 4 was not able to handle the amount of current during the capacitor issue and got burnt and destroyed.

I restored the track with a cable. All tensions available!! ::solder::

The computer is able again to reset and delight me with an endless screen of "2". :hüpf:

Lessons learned:

- A PC power supply with 12V 10A is able to easily destroy the delicate backplane 12V tracks on a short circuit scenario.

- Could it be a good idea to dry test dodgy cards by providing just the voltages to see if something is really wrong? I mean, just connect the voltages out of the backplane.

• P2 TA alphaTronic Keybord Controllercard mit RESET Schaltung

ok, overCLK - prima mit der Spannung, sind die jetzt +5v, +12V und die -12V im System-BUS stabil über einige Testzeiten?

Ich habe mal mein original Keyboard hier eingestellt:

Ich meine auf dieser Karte befindet sich die RESET-Schaltung. Leider habe ich keine Schaltbilder.

Zwei Auslösung kann /muss erfolgen können:

Aus meiner Erinnerung bei sKs und bei Dr.Ing. R. HELL, Kiel ( DS2069 Sichtgerät quasi aus dem KISS(sks) / und P2 (von TA) überarbeitet für den industriellen Einsatz im Fotosatzsystemen DOSY oder RESY von HELL) wird ein HARDSIGNAL von der TASTE auf die Resetschaltung oder aus dem R-C Gield mit evtl. einiger Gatter realisiert! Ich schaue ob ich evtl. etwas ähnliche Schaltunterlagen von einem DS2069 für die Keyboard Controller habe/finde?

Backside vom Keyboard TA P2

Es können eigentlich nur Komponenten (Bauteile) auf der Keyboard fehlerhaft sein - oder ist die Verbindung ( Flachbandkabel zur Tastatur, möglich falsche Versteckung) oder bei der TASTATUR ( aber ich meine das bei der (MICRO-SWITCH BOARD) ein Fehler ist unwahrscheinlich.

Zur Sicherheit FLACHBAND rote Aussenverbindung:

Bei mir ist der rote RAND oben bei der KEYBOARD Controller und bei der TASTATUR in normaler Lage mit rot links (AUSSEN-Leitung) der FLACHbandstecker zu sehen ist! Das wird ja sicher so zu sein, oder!!?

ZUSTAND ist zu Verständnis :

aa) Mit POWER ON startet doch das MOS mit den richtgen Meldungen ( richtger Speicher - Ende?)

Dann loop eine Zeile mit dem MOS-PROMT also den . (Punkt) und ohne was zu machen, wird immer ein ZEICHEN "2" angezeigt - ist doch richtig?

bb) Mit HARDRESET KEY wird die CPU gestartet?

cc) WICHTIG!! Ist es per Hand eine Taste einzugeben, also dazwischen dem laufenden Ausgaben der "2" z.B. "D" isplay oder "F" ill oder beliebige andere TASTEN möglich?

TT: Frage zum TEST:

Wie ist das Ergebnis - wenn alle Karten eingesteckt sind (auch KEYBOARD Card) aber nur das FLACHBAND-Kabel abgezogen wäre? Klar dann könnte kein KEY RESET möglich sein. Aber endet der loop mit den "2" damit. ??

Bitte mal sowas in der Richtung aa, bb, cc und TT Ergebnisse mitteilen.

Danke und viel Grüße

Helwie44

• Ich habe auch getestet: Mein Rechner zeigt bei entfernter Tastatur-Karte nach der MOS Meldung ebenfalls kontinuierlich ".2" an. Das ist also die MOS Fehlermeldung für "Tastatur-Karte fehlt". Insofern ist Dein Rechner sonst offensichtlich in Ordnung, Du brauchst also zumindest keine Fehler auf dem CPU Board suchen. Es muss tatsächlich ein Problem auf der Tastatur-Karte sein. Sobald dieses behoben ist, sollte die MOS Startmeldung und Eingabebereitschaft für MOS Befehle korrekt ablaufen.

Wenn ich die Tastatur-Karte einstecke und das Kabel zur Tastatur nicht anschließe, dann kommt bei mir einfach nur die MOS Bootmeldung. Weder "garbage on screen" noch laufende ".2".

• helwie44 † sahen denn die SKS KISS CPU Boards anders aus, als TA CPU Boards?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suche Rechentechnik aus Deutschland, bzw. Computer Deutscher Hersteller - z.B.

ANKER, AKKORD, CTM (CTM 70, CTM 9000, CTM 9032), DIEHL/ DDS, DIETZ, FEILER, ISE,
    HOHNER GDC, KIENZLE, KRANTZ, NIXDORF, OLYMPIA, PCS/CADMUS, RUF, SALOTA, S.E.I.,
    SIEMAG, SIEMENS, TAYLORIX, TRIUMPH ADLER - TA, WAGNER, WALTHER, WANDERER,...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Well done!

• Hallo horniger es gab zwei sks KISS CPUs.

Aber meist wurde die Karte CPU 3 verbaut. Meine KISS CPU3 ist Funktionsgleich der TA P2 CPU. Sollten in beiden Maschinen arbeiten - soweit evtl. jemand etwas HARD gepatscht für eine spezielle Benutzung gemacht wurde.

• Ich glaube, dass ich ein Fehler im Tastatur-Kontroller gefunden habe: Mit dem Oszilloscop habe ich gesehen, dass der /CS pin im Tastatur-Kontroller (8278) wird nie aktiviert. Dass kann nicht sein, als damit kann das CPU überhaupt nicht richtig Informationen aus der Tastatur-Kontroller lesen oder schreiben.

Ich habe untersucht, wie das Signal /CS generiert wird. Es gibt dafür verschiedene Bausteine benutzt (74LS155, zwei 74LS14 und ein Komparator 74LS85). Aber endlich habe ich gefunden, dass der 74LS85 (IC8) schuldig sein könnte, weil es immer ein Null ergebnis gibt, wenn er die Signale der Addresse-Bus A3, A4, A5, A6 mit 0, 5, 0, 0 vergleicht. Dass kann nicht sein, weil die Signale der Addresse-Bus sich ändern.

Deshalb habe ich der 74LS85 gezogen und einen Sockel im Platz verlötet.

Jetzt muss ich einen Ersatz kaufen. Morgen frage ich mal in einem Geschäft, dass nicht zu fern von hier liegt. Wenn dort kann ich der nicht finden, dann muss ich ein bisschen warten. :(

Später antworte ich gerne eure Frage. Danke für alle die Unterstützung. :)

• Hallo helwie44 †. Meine Antworten:

Sind die jetzt +5v, +12V und die -12V im System-BUS stabil über einige Testzeiten?

Ja

aa) Mit POWER ON startet doch das MOS mit den richtgen Meldungen ( richtger Speicher - Ende?

Dann loop eine Zeile mit dem MOS-PROMT also den . (Punkt) und ohne was zu machen, wird immer ein ZEICHEN "2" angezeigt - ist doch richtig?

Ich muss die Reset-Taste drücken, anderenfalls bekomme ich kein Bild. Nachdem ich die Reset-Taste gedrückt habe, dann bekomme ich die Meldungen und Zeile mit dem Punkt und "2", wie du es beschreibt hast.

bb) Mit HARDRESET KEY wird die CPU gestartet?

Ja, genau. Das ist nicht nötig, wenn die Tastatur-Karte nicht eingesteckt ist.

cc) WICHTIG!! Ist es per Hand eine Taste einzugeben, also dazwischen dem laufenden Ausgaben der "2" z.B. "D" isplay oder "F" ill oder beliebige andere TASTEN möglich?

Nein. Egal was man auf der Tastatur druckt, nur Punkte und "2" symbol.

TT. Wie ist das Ergebnis - wenn alle Karten eingesteckt sind (auch KEYBOARD Card) aber nur das FLACHBAND-Kabel abgezogen wäre? Klar dann könnte kein KEY RESET möglich sein. Aber endet der loop mit den "2" damit. ??

Dann bekomme ich nur Müll im Bildschirm.

• Hehe.

I bought 8 Ls85 the other day. Coincidence? I would hand you one of them only for the pleasure to see this machine running, but I fear you'll be quicker... :)

Good luck.: thumbup: