OS/2 1.10/1.20 in German-language

• Hello, everyone.

I don't sure, that this part of forum is good for my question. Sorry, if it's incorrect.

I have one question.

I searching any info about OS/2 1.10/1.20 in German-language.

Any info = screenshots; photos of disks; photos of box; floppy images.

I don't know, why this losted. But, i never saw this.

I know, that version 1.1 was named Betriebssystem. No more info about this.

Who has any info about this? May be someone has images of disks?

One member mentione, that was exist HP OS/2 1.1 De, but he don't has disks.

In Internet available HP OS/2 1.21 (A.01.21), but 1.10/1.20 losted.

Best regards.

–German

• Hi German (again),

about 10 years ago, before I sold the set with manuals to a collector, I archived this software.

According to my notes, it should be the German version of V1.1, but briefly looking at the files I do not see a version number. Which file might carry this version information?

I did not try to install it recently, maybe I can try in VirtualBox to see show install screens.

At the time, I had bought it from Microsoft as the future was to be OS/2 ...

Archived on my PC:

• Informationen zur Version einer OS/2 Komponenten befinden isch in den sogenannten SYSLEVEL-Dateien. Diese befinden sich normalerweise im jeweiligen Programmverzeichnis. Der Name ist immer SYSLEVEL.* Die Erweiterung kennzeichnet die jeweilige Komponente. In dieser Datei befinden sich genaue Informationen über die verwendete Version der jeweiligen Komponente.

Mit dem Befehl SYSLEVEL.EXE lassen sich alle Informationen aus den SYSLEVEL-Dateien im Klartext anzeigen.

Ich habe mit OS/2 2.1 angefangen

• File SYSLEVEL.OS@ have ID of OS/2 version.

German-version must has ID XRG****.

You can open this file in Notepad (without unpacking).

I recommende install this version in 86box.

IMHO, better emulator for OS/2 1.X.

• O.k. mine has XR00000_XR00000_MS so it is probaly an US-version. Sorry for that.

On the other hand, some of the *.MSG files on the install disk (e.g. ISPM.MSG) have German text strings, which indicates that this might be a localized version.

It is likely, that in the early days of OS/2 in Germany no German version was available (when I bought the SDK). This was rather common - US versions for developers first and localized versions later.

Maybe someone else has a complete version - mine has no bootable floppy, as I simply copied the files and did not image the disks at the time.

Martin

• Martin Hepperle, sorry, may be i'm wrong.

I think, better method – open any text file from floppies.

IIRC, 1.0 DE also has label XR00000.

Better method – starting install.

Please check it.

Added.

i had experience for recovery working OS/2 release from files. This is not fatal problem.

Original images is great. But, if original images missing, only files also not bad.

Also.

In you copy missing two files: OS2KRNL and OS2LDR.

I think, this files will can be moved from US version.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von German ()

• My OS/2 1.1 seems to be the HP Version, which is possible, as I had a RS/20 at the time.

I would have to look for the invoice, if I still have it ...

As I do not have a the complete install disk (no boot sector), I copied one from the internet and replaced the rest of the files. I also patched the keyboard driver as menioned on some intenet site.

But VirtualBox crashes hard during the first two installation screens.

Maybe I should try a different emulator.

It may also be possible that this version rewquired a HP system with its EX-BIOS.

At least I can see that all the installation text is in German.

Strings from Installation Disk

MS OS/2, Version 1.10

(C) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 1988, 1989. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp. 1981, 1988.

B.01.01 (C)Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 1989.

HP-HIL driver. For internal use only.

HIL.SYS

KBDHIL.SYS

HP-HILSETFUNCTIONS

OEM

VECTRA

ES/12

RS/20

CS Port

ES

CS

RS/16

QS/16

QS/20

RS/20C

RS/25C

LS/286

QS/16S

HP ????

EX-BIOS not disabled

• As I do not have a the complete install disk (no boot sector)

You can get original bootsector from FORMAT-utility.

Maybe I should try a different emulator.

I recommende to you 86box.

It's better emulator for OS/2. Working without any patches.

B.01.01 (C)Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 1989.

HP-HIL driver. For internal use only.

I'm interesting this.

Also it's very strange. Later version (1.21) has revision A.01.21. In your copy B.01.01..

I don't understand, why they change letter from B to A...

You was find original OS2KRNL/OS2LDR? This string from OS2LDR, this file missing in your dirlist (in your first post).

It's very interesting release. Sure, it is Standard Version (Microsoft don't was released Extended/Erweiterte versions).

• at least I found the invoice:

17 April 1990

HP D13028 OS/2 1.1 3.5" Deutsch 774 DM + 14% VAT

and earlier:

28 June 1988

HP D1602A HP Vectra RS 20 16025 DM + 14% VAT

HP 46060A HP Maus 347 DM + 14% VAT

HP 45954B Windows Emglish 316 DM + 14% VAT

(most likely Windows 2.11 - check HP catalogues for Order No.)

HP D1651A Windows English 415 DM + 14% VAT

(probably Windows 2.11/386 - check HP catalogues for Order No.)

HP 45951B DOS 3.2 English 196 DM + 14% VAT

Computers and software were not exactly cheap in those days...

Too bad that I did not keep the original disks and manuals.

• Ich habe nicht die regulären 1.1 und 1.2 auf Deutsch. Ich habe Images von OS/2 1.0 Standard auf Deutsch, HP OEM 1.21 auf Deutsch und OS/2 1.3 Standard & Extended Edition auf Deutsch.

____

I don't have the regular 1.1 and 1.2 in German. I do have images of OS/2 1.0 Standard in German, HP OEM 1.21 in German and OS/2 1.3 Standard & Extended editions in German.

• Leider habe ich keine 1.1 und 1.2 auf Deutsch. Ich habe Bilder von OS/2 1.0 Standard auf Deutsch und OS/2 1.3 Standard & Extended Edition auf Deutsch.
    ____
    Sadly i don't have 1.1 and 1.2 in German. I do have images of OS/2 1.0 Standard in German and OS/2 1.3 Standard & Extended editions in German.

How many disks are in this three versions? Common retail releases, Upgrade or OEM?

Can you check internal revisions in 1.3 versions?

It's string "Internal Revision 7.*" in OS2KRNL file.

• The 1.3 Extended version is 16 install disks, 2 PMDD disks and 1 PS fonts disk. The HP OEM 1.21 is 6 disks.
    I thought i had the German 1.3 in standard as well, but that is the server version, not the OS.

No clue how you want me to check the internal revisions.

• The 1.3 Extended version is 16 install disks, 2 PMDD disks and 1 PS fonts disk. The HP OEM 1.21 is 6 disks.
    I thought i had the German 1.3 in standard as well, but that is the server version, not the OS.

No clue how you want me to check the internal revisions.

I have all this images.

HP OS/2 1.21 is OEM version of MS OS/2 1.21. This is Standard Edition (MS never don't released Extended Edition). HP revision is A.01.21.

1.30 Server is version of MS OS/2 1.30.1. It's Standard Edition with "Server"-branding (must be also LAN Manager 2.1 disks, but is don't available).

For info. Internal Revision is a build number. You can check it with HEX-editor.

In Install (bootable) disk exist OS2KRNL file (it's OS/2 Kernel).

You need find in this file text string "Internal Revision".

For example.

OS/2 1.3 Extended Edition (Deutsch) has version string:

Code
    Internal revision 7.85, 91/01/14

Also, 91/01/14 – is date of COMPILE KERNEL, don't is release date.

• So I ...

• used Teledisk to create disk image files (you can convert to whatever format you prefer),
    • scanned the disks with a flatbed scanner to create another set of disk images,
    • copied the individual files into subdirectories,
    • wrote a readme with disk label information and file tree.

I will send the HP specific software to the HP Museum in Australia for publication, insofar as it is missing there.

Copies for archival and research purposes can be provided.

But, as I said, the OS/2 1.1 copy is only the naked files without boot files - OS2KRNL and OS2LDR have been copied from an AT&T install disk to make the file collection complete. In order to make disk images you would have to start with another 1.1 version and copy the "new" files over it.

Some ZIP archives are large because of the *.jpg disk images, which could be resampled.

Martin

• No, it's 1.32 and the first disk is dead and I can't find in elsewhere :(

https://www.winhistory-forum.n….php?tid=16448&pid=580479

• All Disks from my 1.32 OS/2 version are ok, except the installation disk :(

Norton7 NDD tells me that (pictures). I did not have tried to repair the disk.

LowLevel destroys everthing so "no" but repairing via fat2 could perhaps do something.

Currently I see nothing if I try to "dir" the disk.

what do you think about trying this: https://youtu.be/tMz9BUPWEZc?t=213

• Ich habe die Diskette mit NDD repariert ...und erfolgreich zerstört! Die Diskette zeigt "hyroglyphen" und völlig falsche Größenangaben. Aber ich habe sie vorher mit imd118/117 und mit teledisk216 ausgelesen. Dieses Teledisk-Image habe ich wieder auf Diskette zurückgeschrieben und ich habe eine bootfähige Diskette erhalten. Ob die voll funktionsfähig ist muss ich an einem alten Rechner testen, an dem K6-2/450 crasht der Bootvorgang.

VGACOPY mit ARJ im Pfad zum zurückschreiben.

• Ich habe die Diskette mit NDD repariert ...und erfolgreich zerstört! Die Diskette zeigt "hyroglyphen" und völlig falsche Größenangaben.

I checked you image.

It's version 1.30.2, build 7.229.

Label 1.32 is 1.30.2.

I made two screenshots from my smartphone (Text viewer).

Added:

If some files is corrupted, you can use files from another 7.229 builds.