• Anbei ein Disk-Image ... in MAME muss man explizit das Maus-Modul auswählen, damit die Software funktioniert, dann damit booten, GRAPHICS und dann DRAW eingeben. IFSEL ist dort auf 2A eingestellt, die Maus auf Alps, dazu in Slot 1 eine Speichererweiterung.

• Ja die MS-Mause hat wohl das gleiche Innenleben. Aber leider auch nur schwer zu bekommen.

Aber mit einer modifizierten Bus-Maus könnte es auch funktionieren. Die benötigt 5V.

Ich muß mir mal das Einsteck-Modul vornehmen, um zu sehen, was für ICs mit der Buchse verbunden sind.

Und Danke für die Disk-Images.

Ich glaube da gibt es erst noch ein weiteres Problem: Der Rechner war das letzte Mal 2005 unter Strom ! :fp:

• Also ....

weiter mit den Harddiskadapter.

Meiner ist in GB bei Jon Hales und funktioniert.

Der Harddiskcontroller von Jon macht Probleme und John hat schon diverse Tests durchgeführt die ich hier posten möchte.

Ich hoffe dass jemand sich besser auskennt als ich und eventuell helfen kann.

Jon #1

I have had a long series of tests today. It's extremely valuable to be able to compare our two WD1001 boards.

The key test today has been to use a Saleae 16-pin logic analyser. I'm picking up the signals for the 34-way HD cable at U21 and U26, with further signals at U18 and U42. (As depicted on page 3 of 5 in the schematics for the WD1001-05). I'm also picking up the index signal on the drive.

There is a substantial contrast between your board and mine. The first test was to format the ST412 under MS-DOS, starting at the point where the software is starting to write. I can identify this by movement of the stepper motor on the drive. With my board in place, the only signals registering are MFM + and MFM - at U43, as well as INDEX from the test pin on the drive. With your board, as expected almost all the signals are active throughout the process.

The first situation (my board) is shown in the photo 16MHz, 160M_JH01Format.jpg.

The start of the corresponding screen shot with your board is in DMV_Fritz1001_FormatStartDOS.jpg. (An expanded view of the start).

One potential explanation was that my N8x305 CPU wasn't working to a large extent. So, I swapped my CPU to your board, and showed that this combination worked just the same as your CPU on your board.

I'm also attaching the screenshot DMV_Fritz_JHCPU_copyA-C.jpg - the pattern shows the copying of a series of files - a nice view of the process. That's with my CPU in your board.

That looks like the end of the potential 'easy fixes'. The next stage will be to examine the test points on both boards with an oscilloscope - to see where the signals are different. The problem with this is that my board gets the response 'format failure' or 'Invalid drive', so it will be difficult to monitor the test points on my board while the hard drive is working. I have also spent time examining my board for soldering faults and studying the schematics. I think I'll need to get quite deeply involved in looking for the problem.

This is just to inform you that I'm working on the problem - no response is expected.

Best regards

Jon

• Jon #2

Hi Fritz

I am continuing to benefit from the generous loan of your WD1001-05. In today's message I'm describing a situation and seeking your advice.

One of the recent checks was to screenshot the waveform at each of the test points numbered 1 to 17, (but missing No 12). About half the test points with my WD1001-05 showed no waveforms while your good board showed waveforms at all the test points. It appears that my board is lacking a number of signals, not just one or two.

Today, I did what I should probably have done at the start and read through the Western Digital manual for the WD1001-05. Right at the end of the document is a section headed maintenance (Page 9-1). The first point to mention is that my controller doesn't allow the drive to be accessed from the DOS prompt, so while the board is connected to the DMV and is powered on, it's 'running' but it isn't 'working'.

Section 9.3 is headed 'Balance Adjustment' which affects the relationship between the 'delayed data signal' (DLYDAT) and the Read Clock (RCLK). The instructions for setting up an oscilloscope and the diagrams seem likely to reflect the limitations of display in the early 1980s. The rise in the DLYDAT signal is adjusted to an optimum position during the high state of RCLK. The right and left limits of the DLYDAT rise are found while 'the controller is doing constant reads to a single sector'. When these reads fail, either when the signal is too late or too early, the limits of adjustment are determined. Then the potentiometer at R23 is adjusted to achieve the optimal timing relationship. I'll provide screen-shots of the two pages, so you can see the description.

I have attached two screen-shots from the oscilloscope when set up with connections to U37 pins 2 (channel 1, yellow) and 3 (channel 2, blue) (U37 is a 74LS74). Print 58 is my WD1001-05 and Print 63 is your's. There are similarities in the relationships between the two signals. For example, the initial rise of DLYDAT occurs well after the peak of RCLK, but while the RCLK signal remains high. And DLYDAT remains high while RCLK goes low and starts to rise again. I was surprised at the variation in DLYDAT on both boards.

I didn't touch the adjustment on the oscillator at R23 on your board. With mine, I counted ten turns in an anti-clockwise direction. I was trying to see how the adjustment described in the manual could be made. Even ten full turns made only a very small difference to the relative position of the signals. It seemed impossible to move the 'left capture value' as shown on page 9-2.

The point of this discussion is to ask your advice about whether the adjustment of R23 (and perhaps C30) might be so far from the correct position on my board to cause the controller to fail entirely. If that's the case, I could attempt to adjust the potentiometer further than I tried today. My sense is that the signals on the two boards look generally similar.

What is your opinion?

There remain further checks I envisage, making use of the schematic drawings and details of the input and output pins of the chips I suspect may have failed - but this is likely to be quite a lengthy process. So far, I haven't found a chip that is not working at all. And, a further comment, on both boards, quite a number of chips are hot after running for a few minutes - I'll make measurements next time.

Best regards

Jon

• Dann ist das derselbe den ich in einem Beitrag vorher schonmal erwähnt hatte, der ist dann wohl ein Ausfallkandidat. Die Tantals sowieso.

• Hallo an alle,

Ein bisschen spät, aber ich habe ein DMV, das einen "Memory Error" auf 8 roten LEDs (7 +8 ) anzeigt, es ist kein Erweiterungsspeicher an Port 1 angeschlossen, das Display zeigt nichts an. Es ist ein Farbbildschirm. Ist es möglich, dass ein Speicherfehler dazu führt, dass das Display nichts anzeigt? Ist das Display auch kaputt?

Noch nicht geöffnet, aber ich möchte Sie um Ihre Meinung bitten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

• SUCHE: CP/M 80 System Technical Manual zum Einscanner oder als PDF mit 600DPI eingescannt.

Die PDF, welche auf oldcomputers vorhanden ist, war von einer schlechten Kopie.

Ich muss einen guten Scan haben um mit Appendix B: Biossource arbeiten zu können.

A P P E N D I X B

C P / M - 8 0 B I O S P r o g r a m .............................................................................. B - l

C P / M - 8 0 L i n k l i s t ............................................................................................ B - 1 8 7

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• Es ist mir leihweise eine external HD zum DM-V auf den Tisch gelegt worden.

Verbaut ist im Gehäuse ein WD 1002-HD0 Controller und eine NEC D5124 10MB Festplatte.

Im Gegensatz zu dem WD1001 bei der internen Festplatte ist das Erstellen eines Images mit dem MFM-Reader/Emulator

beim WD1002 problemlos.

Einlesen der HD:

• Das Image des DM-V möchte ich jetzt an einem PC unter MSDOS lesen und bearbeiten da dies am NCR unter MSDOS 2.1 doch sehr mühsam ist.

Hierzu hatte ich mal ich einen Rechner mit MFM (WD1003-MM1) und SCSI Controllern (AHA-1542CF) vorbereitet. Interessant ist dass der MFM Controller (WD 1003) die emulierte HD nicht erkennt - der Diskettenzugriff aber funktioniert. Nach einigen Tests mit einer echten HD (ST125) stellt sich heraus, dass der WD Controller wohl defekt ist und ich einen neuen benötige.

• Hierzu hatte ich mal ich einen Rechner mit MFM (WD1003-MM1) und SCSI Controllern (AHA-1542CF) vorbereitet. Interessant ist dass der MFM Controller (WD 1003) die emulierte HD nicht erkennt - der Diskettenzugriff aber funktioniert. Nach einigen Tests mit einer echten HD (ST125) stellt sich heraus, dass der WD Controller wohl defekt ist und ich einen neuen benötige.

Soll ich dir einen schicken? Und wenn ja, muß es exakt der WD1003-MM1 sein?

• Soll ich dir einen schicken? Und wenn ja, muß es exakt der WD1003-MM1 sein?

Hallo Schroeder ...

wenn du einen übrig hast gerne - oder falls du in der Nähe bis kannst du ihn auch reinwerfen.

Es muss nicht exakt der WD1003... sein, aber die Lage der Stiftleisten oben ist schon von Vorteil.

Ich habe schon diverse Angebote - danke an alle die geschrieben haben.

Ich hatte mal die Software OSFMount probiert, aber mit dem alten FAT Filesystem von MSDOS 2.11 kommt die nicht zurecht.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz