Beiträge von luke.6502

Hmmm ... so the system diskette is in GCR format - MFM disks can only be processed after the CP / M has booted.

Yes .. (afaik) all the CBM CP / M disk are in GCR format (well apart the mythical 3'5 '' floppy for 1581 ... yep (at least) the last ver of CBM CP / M support the 1581 fdd . ..)

And yes (afaik), MFM disks are managed after the point in which the z80 take control and CP / M code is loaded (triggered via bootstrap routine in fd bootsector)

At least following the official way ... but since the 1570/1571 are -like 1541- little standalone computer ...

and ... well NOT remember exactly, since i not own that floppy (nor a 1541 ... only a 1571), but also exists a "c64-style" single side version of that floppy ... i guess without "CBM signature "in track # 1 so without c128-style bootstrap routine (possible? Some confirmations?) And somewhat smaller in size ..

The original system disk should even be one-sided, because not everyone had a 1571 back then

Half true ... (afaik) exists both single and double side version of that system floppy ... Since, of course, it's more enjoyable to have about 347K # in one fd than 174K # and flipping it (btw "flipping" is not exactly the same that formatting and accessing to both single side (head 0,1) ...)

More ... system floppy apart .. i GUESS that isn't have much worthwhile using GCR in CP / M mode ... since an MFM formatted disk, in "Kaypro filesystem" for example, permit an higher size available for files. .. 390KB o something like that ..

# = unformatted size. space available for user is lower

To have a 1571 it's not only a "size question" but it's also possible to use the so called IEC burst mode via SRQ line (that, well, isnt so faster than a turboloader .. but hei .. :))

Zitat

Any C64 disk copier program can be used to copy the one-sided disc.

(afaik) yes ..

new user question: : cat2:for forum's policy it's ok reply to a german thread in english, or i stop here? (German it's like klingon for me : D: fp: )