Beiträge von HansOtten

I made a type also! Corrected now.

The source in the manual has a semicolon ';' . The typein/ocr'ed source has a colon ':'.
    Characters nearly identical and on the same key in US keyboards.

The LH command in my SImulator did not work because of that error.

When I got a Superjolt with Tiny Basic in ROM, I wanted to find out if that version works and is different from the versions I have dumped from my old KIM-1 cassette tapes.

So I started a research project into Tom Pittman's Tiny Basic.

Summary: the TIM/Superjolt version is OK, and nearly identical to the KIM-1 versions.

Project results:

- improved scanned manuals

- original KIM-1 binaries, high and low versions as dsitributed by Tom Pittman reconstructed, with assembler source
    -patched practical version of Tiny Basic (backspace working, annoying padding characters removed, no separate breaktest binary required) for KIM-1 with assembler source
    - Tiny Basic for TIM/Superjolt patched practical version, with assembler source
    - lots of information on Tiny Basic, such as sources of the IL Basic interpreter.

The patched versions work fine also in my updated KIM-1 and TIM/Superjolt Simulators.

I found a bug in the TIM ROM source during this project (Which is also in the TIM-2 source).
    The manual has a ; (semicolon) as start of the papertape record, the source I got had this replaced with the nearly identical ':'

The TIM source on my site is corrected for this.

Tiny Basic – Retro Computing (hansotten.nl)

Yes, should work. The original Superjolt Tiny Basic I dumped only uses the character I/O of the TIM IC and the breaktest looks at the TIM dataport (B, PB0) 6E02 iirc. And that dumped ROM runs now fine in the Simulator.

My TIM simulator as it is now is just a TIM IC with RAM at 0000 and up. Tiny Basic stores programs at 0200 and up. It can run with 1K RAM from 0000, upper limit of RAM available is searched for.

Tiny Basic (and Resident Assembler program) are a 4K ROM at page C C000-CFFF (2x 2716 2K ROMs).

Set your terminal emulation to 7 bit.

I have the 6502 source for Superjolt Tiny Basic, will upload this week. I am now studying the Basic interpreter in the IL language that is interpreted by Tiny Basic. An interpreter in a interpreter, Tiny Basic is not fast. No tokenization, so it needs more program space.

I have not looked yet at the RAP program

Tiny Basic ROM dumped from from the Superjolt runs in the TIM/Superjolt simulator 0.3 beta.

I also reconstructed the source of this Tiny Basic version, will upload this week. Based upon the sources of the KIM-1 versions.

It is not exactly the same Basic interpreter IL code as the KIM-1 versions I have, some tiny differences. Studying now what is different.

I am adding the 6502.zip articles now, thank you!

If you have time perhaps these Funkschau articles ?

KIM-Debugger 78/26/1342

KIM auf Datensuche 78/24/1222

Oszilloskop + KIM = Speicheroszilloskop 78/22/1105

6502-Disassembler 78/21/1042

Plotter für Speicheroszilloskop (KIM) 79/3/160

RS-232-Interface für KIM-1 79/2/104

Hans

Hi Matthias,

A generous offer! No 1979 issues found on the net. So scanning would be great!

I also found (in the contents attached) the following articles that maybe interesting:

6502-Disassembler 78/21/1042

6502 - Textausdruck mit Baudot-Fernschreiber 79/16/958

6502 simuliert 8080 79/25/1467

6502 - Zusätzliche Befehle 79/2/109

6502-Assembler (zu Heft 78/21) 79/5/261

6502-Baudot Ausgabeprogramm, 79/1/53

6502-Binär-Dezimal Umwandlung 79/18/1078

6502-Druckerprogramm 79/5/264

6502-Maskenfehler 79/10/582

6502-Operationscodes (Mikro-Poster) 79/11/657

6502-Programm zum alphabetischen Sortieren 79/17/1026

6502-Rechenroutinen 79/19/1125

6502-Software-Tondecoder 79/8/470

ASCII-Eingabe ganz nebenbei (6502) 79/7/396

To complete my KIM-1 and related 6502 articles on my website I am looking for Funkschau 1979 scans.

Does any one know of a source?

Articles I know that are in published in 1979 are:

KIM als Morse-Trainer 79/19/1128

KIM als Nf Frequenzzähler 79/6/334

KIM als Siebensegment Fernschreiber 79/14/836

KIM decodiert Morsezeichen 79/15/889

KIM spielt Lotto 79/24/1420

KIM- und SYM-Monitor-Unterprogramme 79/11/652

KIM-1-Kapazitätsmessung 79/12/715

KIM-1-Kassettenprobleme 79/5/260

KIM-Interrupt-Uhr 79/11/657

KIM-Lernprogramm (Lernen mit KIM) 79/18/1073

KIM-Monitorprogramm für Baudot-Fernschreiber 79/26/1425

KIM-Morseschreibmaschine 79/14/834

KIM-Timer Gebrauchsanleitung 79/8/466

KIM als Digitalvoltmeter 79/17/1925

AIM-65 Erweiterungsplatine für Funkamateure 79/16/963

AIM-65 - Fernschreiber als Drucker 79/19/1124

AIM-65 als Morseschreibmaschine 79/16/952

AIM-65 empfängt RTTY 79/15/884

AIM-65 sendet RTTY 79/16/953

AIM-65-Testbericht 79/10/581

AIM-65-Videoausgabe 79/25/1474

The KIM-1 and PAL-1 have hardware echo for incoming characters if the KIM-1 is set for TTY. Your problem needs checking the incoming and outgoing path around the TTL ICs in the serial part of the circuit. Even a simple LED with 1k resistor can be used as measurement at this slow speeds. Follow the circuit!

Yes, I think that is the right cable.

'Beim FTDI-Adapter der zwei LED hat, sehe ich wenn ich die Eingabetaste drücke die eine leuchten und wenn ich am Pal-1 die“ RS „ taste drücke die andre aufleuchten.

So müsste doch die Verbindung in beide Richtungen funktionieren'

'I followed the instructions in the Pal-1 manual and did everything as it says.'

That is not the correct procedure in your first post. When you press RS the PAL-1 resets and TTY is not active for sending until you press Return. Do not press RS after that!

The Enter key pressed lets the PAL-1 determine the baudrate of the incoming serial line. Only after that it will send characters outgoing with the same baudrate. The activity you see after RS is the default setting of the serial ouput line, not characters sending. Reset also clears the baudrate detected and no characters will be send out until baudrate is determined.

From the PAL-1 manual:

Serial Operation

PAL-1 supports simple TTY/RS232 serial communication operations and supports the read
    and store of paper tape format programs.
    If you have a PC with serial port and Windows 95 installed, you can connect to PAL-1 with only one rs232 cable, or you can connect to PAL-1 by using USB to RS232 cable.
    The PAL-1 onboard serial port is a DB-9 male connector, which is connected to the PC through a direct/extended serial port cable. Use HyperTerminal (Windows 95) or Tera Term
    for terminal simulation or any you preferred terminal software.
    Set the terminal serial port to:
    • Baud rate 1200
    • Data bits 8
    • No parity bit
    • 1 stop bit
    • No flow control
    When serial cable connected, close the I/O Selector jumper (the onboard display will turn
    off), press the RS key after power-on, and press the Enter key on terminal, you will see the terminal display “KIM” with current address and data information (as follows Figure).
    Now you can control PAL-1 on terminal, such as input programs, load paper tape programs or export PAL-1 memory data in paper tape format. Please refer to "KIM-1 User Manual" for more TTY commands.
    • For terminal operation, please make sure that the keyboard caps lock is on. The KIM-1 monitor program can only accept uppercase letters.
    • File sending delay settings: character 5ms, line 100ms

The procedure for serial TTY on the KIM-1/PAL-1 is:

- set the jumper to TTY

- press RS once, every time you press this the serial baudrate check is reset

- set your terminal emulator to 1200 baud 8 bit 1 stop no parity (faster may work, but start low)

- press Return in your terminal emulator (minicom is also nice) to do a baud rate check

Then KIM will be printed in your terminal emulator.

Did you check the RX -TX lines not twisted? gender changer?

The PAL-1 deviates from the RS232C standard.

The voltages should swing between -25 - 3V and + 3V - 25V. The PAL-1 goes from 0V to 5V, like so many simple SBCs.

Not all USB serial adapters allow that, some do, some do not alas.

In the PAL-1 google group https://groups.google.com/g/pal6502/ I read positive experience with the UGREEN USB to RS232 cable with female connector.

I looked at the monitor ROM. Sure inspired by the KIM-1!

What I saw that the monitor RESET vector points to a routine at $8400. The ROS ROM at $8400 does some initialization and jumps back to the monitor ROM. Without this ROM the system will not boot.

Is that ROM somewhere in the system?