Beiträge von mlindroth

I was able to find an exact replacement battery for the MX2, it turns out to be a 3.6V AA size lithium battery with axial wire mount. Along with some Wago terminals that will allow me to easily replace it in the future.

Lithium Battery Saft LS14500CNA with Axial Wire Mount: Amazon.de: Electronics & Photo

WAGO 221-2411 Terminal 2 Conductor 4 mm² Through Connector with Lever (Pack of 10) : Amazon.de: DIY & Tools

I have a sheet of carbon fiber I got for free from my local hacker space that I'm going to use to mill a backplate for the emulator. The reason I need this is because the MFM isn't the correct size. I had thought about using KiCad to redesign the emulator so that it would fit in the mounting posts of the hard drive after I remove it. But I thought it was a little much for a first project with KiCad, someday in the future I might. This backplate will slide into the currently unused card cage in the center of the MX2, mounting it securely on standoffs so it's not floating around in the case.

Today I've modeled the MFM emulator in Fusion 360 to design a backplate, and I'm hoping to use the space's Shaper Origin to cut it out. If you haven't seen it before you should watch some YouTube videos. It really awesome.

I just came across this hack that allows you to clear Root's password. Neat!
    Siemens PC-X - GeekDot

It's been a lot of work, but I have some big updates.

Shortly after my last post, I ordered five (minimum order) MFM Emulator PCBs to be made for me by JLCPCB in China. They did a great job, and they look awesome. I spent a little extra money to get them in black with an ENIG coating, and gold-plated contacts on the fingers. Along with 45 degree bevel on the fingers to slide in a little bit easier. The ENIG coating is to avoid oxidation and improve the solderability of copper contacts and plated through-holes.

I've got three left, that I would offer first the readers of my thread ;)

Only asking cost and shipping (5.60+2.80 = 8.40€)

I tested it hooked up to my lab power supply before connecting it up to anything really important, and setup the beagle bone to work headlessly. I tested it using a disk image and cables fritzeflink sent me, Thanks Fritz! And everything worked first try. Next up was the part that I was dreading the most. Trying to recover the data of the old hard drive.

It took 12 attempts, and trying different settings from conflicting sources on the internet of what the correct settings for the hard drive were. But what turned out to be the most important changes were not relying on the analysis of the program entirely and manually setting the number of cylinders, along with changing the number and thickness of shims that were inserted, and power cycling. While the beginning tracks could always be read for me. The slightest misalignment kept the cylinders at the end from reading properly. Eventually I ended up with it going through the whole read process without any retries or cylinder misalignments. At that point, I made sure to not touch it and power it off until I got a couple reads.

I changed all the cables and setup for emulation, and it worked! There were only some files in the root directory that have weird names, but that could be from the previous user. Everything else works, even the COBOL projects were there from the company that owned the machine. I only explored it a little bit, but one of them was a program for entering patient information. I may try some more reads in the future, to see if those filenames can get cleared up. But I think this is as good as it is going to get.

I think you should 1st make an image of the hd and please don't use it until that.

I can lend you my spare MFM Reader/Emulator. The BBB is the one with only 2GB of emmc but for testing it is enough.

I'll write a short howto for you to read and then emulate the hd until you have your own hardware.

Yeah, I didn't plan on doing anything besides browse the hard disk, but I won't be able to use if at the moment anyways. I think it was a fluke, random chance. My PCB's I had made for the MFM Emulator (the same one you are using), should come tomorrow. And then I will be building it soon, so I don't think I need yours. The only thing is that I only purchased the parts listed on the Mouser BOM, which didn't include a few things like the extra memory chip, and cables. I'm hoping that it isn't necessary for what I need to do, based on what I'm reading on the site.

Yeah, I realized that after I had powered off the system. And the heads are sticking again. I'm going to have to open this drive. I'm planning on making a little clean room box with gloves attached to the front.

Update: subsequent boots of the system don't have the heads moving reliably. I think it might be the sticky rubber bumpers. And the error messages were because the hard drive stopped working.

And I think that I might have read the password wrong before, I tried siemens: siemens. Oops.

I have some awesome news. Over the past week I have been poking around in the system monitor to try to learn how to use it. I have been encountering some weird issues that cause the system to crash/hang while running commands. So I have figured I have some bad memory. Today while trying to do some commands to test some of the memory, I restarted the computer like I had done many times before, but I had the switches on the CPU card set to always go straight to the monitor. I heard some new clicks from the hard drive, this sound stopped me dead in my tracks because they sounded like the heads were finally moving. I set the switches back to normal, and restarted the systems. It gave me three error messages saying it was waiting for ready status from the drive, and I could hear it struggling. Then it finally booted into the system. I must have exercised it enough to get it working again.

I have two issues now; the default password doesn't work and I'm getting intermittent error messages on the bottom of the screen and the debug status LEDs are flashing. I'm hoping that once I get the floppies from Fritz, I will be able to delete a password file or something. As far as the error message, I'm hoping someone on here can help me understand it.

forum.classic-computing.de/index.php?attachment/155315/

Do you hear the HD spinning ?

Definitely spinning, and after a while it ramps down a little bit then up to normal. Everything sounds healthy. Could this be caused by a memory problem like what I posted about above?

I've also been trying to learn how to use the monitor, and I'm unable to use the "d" command to display memory area.

So "d0 100" freezes the computer.

Memory test works when I run away from the beginning. "d2 ffff 100"

but "d2 0 100" freezes after two addresses come up on the screen.

Have you reseated all hdd relevant cables already ? Did you check the 5V and 12V power line of the drive (sometimes it's too low due to the age of the power supply, but high enough to let the drive spin) ?

I pulled it out when I first opened the computer up. All cables are reseated, I hear the click when it first starts spinning. I will probe voltage levels tonight.

I've also been trying to learn how to use the monitor, and I'm unable to use the "d" command to display memory area.

So "d0 100" freezes the computer.

Memory test works when I run away from the beginning. "d2 ffff 100"

but "d2 0 100" freezes after two addresses come up on the screen.

Thanks to fritzeflink helping me get a cable I'm now able to power on the system. I had my spirits up when all the fans spun up, even the hard-drive and floppy were making healthy sounds. The hard drive spins, but I get a repeating message on the screen "waiting for harddisk ready". You can see the boot sequence on the video below.

This is a bummer, but kind of expected. I would love to have the hard drive working so I can get the software off of it. But I'm not giving up hope. Maybe there is a problem on the control board that I can fix. Will see.

So, I'm going to be needing the MFM Emulator for sure. I have found three different kinds. I like the idea of the ones implemented in FPGA, but it won't help at all if everyone else in this space is using another, and I can't use their image files. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter.

https://youtu.be/TngLWsyDbZ4

Wow, this is cool. While Googling I found the original listing where my machine was sold to the previous owner. The guy before me parceled it out and sold the items individually for profit. Which I'm ok with, it's his side-gig, and he got to it before me. But what is cool is that I got a little bit of a story behind the Machine. Apparently, it was switched off 20 years ago, and stored in a warehouse. I'm curious what kind of business used it. I was hoping to find out something if the hard-drive still works.

alter Siemens Computer PC-MX2 / PC-2000 incl. 2 Terminals in Baden-Württemberg - Aalen | eBay Kleinanzeigen (ebay-kleinanzeigen.de)

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I recently bought a Siemens PC-MX2, along with a working control terminal and set of manuals. So I'm creating this thread to host photos of the new machine and to be a place where I can post updates on the progress of the restoration. I'm not overly superstitious, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the hard drive still works so I have some digital archaeology to do. Along with having the operating system intact.

Because of the upload limits I'm going to split the photos across a couple posts. These are of the outside.

Amazing customer service :) Really, thank you so much. It bugged me a little bit inside that the cable wasn't included with sale of the computer. The computer made it through 35 years of time to get to me, and someone didn't bother getting all the parts. :D I'm wondering where the printer is, and if there were any cards that didn't make it to me. I've only got 4 in mine, and I'm seeing more in everyone else's. I've got to admit, there is a little bit of envy. I'll keep my eye out for interesting cards.

fritzeflink, is it really true that it won't turn on at all without the control terminal? Getting a cable from you would be great to keep everything original. I'll message you if this site allows it with personal details so we can discuss it further.

Finding the logic diagram pdf is already huge, it will help a lot in understanding the system. I was hoping for a service/system manual too, which is one level up from the bare metal. I only found one for the MX300.

Eventually I would like to learn to program on the machine, in C and Assembly. And maybe dive into the ROMs I found, and try to understand them. I think a lot of the knowledge about the internals of the system is lost to time, and I'm wondering how much can be rediscovered. I've always been fascinated by the low-level logic in computers, and I think early computers were the simple way to start, but maybe this computer isn't so simple.

fritzeflink, Danke für die Antwort, ich habe diese Links bereits besucht und das Logik-PDF völlig verpasst. Ich habe gesehen, dass Sie eine Diagrammseite gepostet haben. Ich habe gerade das vollständige Dokument auf der File-Share-Site gefunden. Vielen Dank für Ihre Arbeit an der Dokumentation Ihres Threads.

Ich habe den MFM-Emulator schon einmal gesehen, ich erwäge, meinen eigenen über einen PCB-Service zu machen. Aber ich habe es noch nicht untersucht.

Ich spreche Englisch als Muttersprache, komme aus den Vereinigten Staaten und lebe jetzt in Deutschland. Mein Deutschlernen ist langsam, weil ich in Berlin nur englischsprachige Jobs hatte.

Zunächst einmal möchte ich mich entschuldigen, mein Deutsch ist sehr schlecht, also muss ich Google Translate verwenden. Ist es in Ordnung, in diesem Forum Englisch zu verwenden?

Ich habe mir vor kurzem einen Siemens PC-MX2 PC-2000 und Bedienterminal zugelegt. Aber weil mir das SS97-Kabel zwischen ihnen fehlt, konnte ich nicht starten. Nach dem Lesen des Handbuchs und der kleinen Dinge im Internet, die ich finden kann, verstehe ich, dass es ohne diese Verbindung nicht startet. Ist das richtig? Ich habe den passenden Schaltplan gefunden und warte auf das Zeug, um mein eigenes Kabel zu machen.

Dieser Computer ist sehr selten, wie ich sehe, und als Nebeneffekt bedeutet das, dass Informationen schwer zu bekommen sind. Ich bin nicht nur daran interessiert, es zum Laufen zu bringen, um die Geschichte am Leben zu erhalten, sondern ich bin sehr daran interessiert zu verstehen, wie die Dinge auf der untersten Ebene nach oben laufen. Ich frage mich also, ob jemand ein Systemhandbuch oder ein Referenzhandbuch für Programmierer für den PC-MX2 hat?

Ich habe einen für den PC-MX300 gefunden, der sehr ähnlich, aber nicht gleich ist. Wenn jemand eine physische Kopie hat, würde ich sie freiwillig scannen und online stellen.

Dies sind die Dateien, die ich bereits gefunden habe und die einen großartigen Einblick in die Funktionsweise des Computers geben.

mx300-9783_system-manual_u64510-j-7600_1988-89.pdf (oldcomputers-ddns.org)

SINIX - System Mehrplatzsystem 9783 MX300 (INTEL) (oldcomputers-ddns.org)

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe!