tools I use

• Here is a list of tools I use for writing my demos and games, I hope it will help others:

- Crimson Editor
    has built in z80 syntax highlighting and you can define your own 'tools' For example press ALT+1 to compile CPC code.

- pucrunch

Fantastic cruncher, originally written for C64, but there is a uncrunch routine for z80. Not the fastest uncrunch, but very good at reducing data. A 16k screen down to 1k?? Yes of course!

- pasmo

A great cross- z80 assembler. Run it on the PC, generate your code for CPC. I run it as a tool through Crimson.

You can include binary data too!

You can even use it to make 128k games because you can output symbol table and include that into your other sources and make the game in modules.

- cpcxfs

I use this when I make the "master" disc. I use a Windows batch file to assemble and compress the files then put them into a disk image

- snamanager

Ramlaids excellent snapshot managment tool. I use this for fast development, because it is much quicker to make programs like this, debug in emulator, and then finally use another tool to make final disc or cassette.

I generally have a batch file which converts all my image data, then uses the appropiate tool to generate the "master" casstte/disc which is then spread (or sent to Cronosoft).

- 2cdt

My own tool for creating tape (CDT) files. Can handle standard loader and Spectrum style loader (I have the source for the CPC version of a spectrum loader).

- gimp

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gimp.org">http://www.gimp.org</a><!-- w -->.
    A really good image editor, it is free, but the best thing: You can define images with CPC mode 0 sized pixels and edit them this way.
    Change the X resolution to be 36 and Y resolution to be 72.
    Then right click on image and 'show dot for dot', you get "fat pixels" which are closer to the CPC 0 sized pixels.

- bmp2cpc

My own tool for extracting graphics from bitmap (BMP) images. Can handle multiple frames and a variety of output formats (e.g. uncompressed sprite, rle sprite, h/w sprite, c64 charset, spectrum graphics etc).

- Arnold emulator

My own CPC emulator. It is showing it's age, but suitable for debugging code.

- playtzx

I use this to convert a cdt file into a wav file, then I can play it through the PC soundcard and load the game on a real cpc, good for testing tape games work on a real machine.

- dsktools

I use this to transfer DSK file to real 3.5" discs which I can run on a CPC6128 equipped with side switch and ABBA switch. Great for testing code really works on a real machine.

- Vortextracker

Not used it yet, but plan to use it (or a CPC musician) for making sfx/sound.

- addhead

My own tool for adding an amsdos header to a file.

- datamaker

My own tool for converting binary data into asm source file (defb ...)
    which I can include into my code.

- fileattr

My own tool which will read an amsdos header and extract start/end/execution addresses, but output them in this form defw &xxxx,
    which I can then include into cassette loaders to make the final master cassette and use fast loaders easily on cassette.

So those are the tools I use, what tools do others use?

• This my list:

1.) UltraEdit
    - for editing Z80 source code (with syntax highlighting - if you are interested in the description file, write here)
    2.) WinApe
    - for assembling every kind of Z80 code (currently CPC and MSX)
    - for directly assembling into the emulators memory (for very fast starting a program)
    - for assembling to HD (for starting it directly in SymbOS without the need to use DSK files)
    3.) Crown Cruncher
    - not a fast and optimal cruncher, but because of the lightspeed-decruncher
    4.) Cpcxfs
    - for managing the content of DSK files
    5.) Photoshop
    - for making all kind of CPC graphics and down-scaling pictures (I use a small selfmade VB-program to bring the RAW-files into CPC/SGX format at the end)
    6.) SymbOS
    - for transfering all kind of data to/from the real CPC via 3,5" disc or, if bigger, CF-card with the native FAT-support

CU,
    Prodatron

• I am using those programs:

1.) Notepad++ - good editor with ASM syntax highlighting
    2.) pucrunch - just playing around with it, but it seems to work fine (@Kevin: which Z80 routine do you use? The one by Jussi Pitkänen or the one by Maxim?
    3.) TommyGun - I currently have a look at it and it seems to be a quite good IDE
    4.) Pasmo - great cross-assembler
    5.) CPC-Tools - for managing files and contents of DSK files under Windows
    6.) Paint Shop Pro - my favourite graphics editing program, I already used it when it was shareware
    7.) WinCPC - I mostly use Flynn's WinCPC emulator, you can easily load a file into memory there :)
    8.) Z88dk - sometimes if I want to test something in a hurry, I use Z88dk to write small C programs
    9.) Arkos ROM - for transfering files with the CPC Booster to the CPC

• If someone wants to create CPC-ROMs, I approve:

ConText (PC) with Z80 Syntax-Highlighter and WLA-Z80 or
    GoldED (Amiga) and WLA-Z80 ;)

You can edit your source with ConText. If you are pressing a user-define-Function-Key, the asm starts and generate the ROM.

I'm also using:

Turbo Assembler 128K (CPC) - Smaller projects
    DPaint/PPaint (Amiga) - Gfx
    and some selfmade Tools for PC/Amiga.

Transfering Files PC/Amiga<->CPC:
    -DosCopy
    -BonnyDOS
    and CPCCommander (Amiga, the compiler created FPU-Code, so it doesnt run on my current plain 68K-Amiga).

• These are the tools/applications I use for programming:
    - a CPC 6128
    - My PC (AMD Athlon 1800+ XP)
    - CPCDiskCP (for transferring DSK to disk and invers)
    - WinUAE with own created workbench (For transferring Data from Amiga to CPC)
    - Micrografx Picture Publisher (For creating pictures)
    - ConvImgCPC (For transforming pictures to CPC)
    - PC-CPC (Because of the very good compression routine included)
    - ConvWAV (for translating WAV to SPL (CPC))
    - WinAPE and WinCPC (for playing and programming on the PC)
    - NetBeans (for coding on JEMU)
    That's all.
    I'm not such a good coder in ASM or C. I only know to code BASIC...