CPCWiki

• Well, if I understand the german correctly (and, forgive me, my german goes only that far, so I'm replying in english!).

Almost every wiki works on two levels: one database and a front-end. In our case the front-end is provided by Mediawiki, the same software that serves Wikipedia and many, many others.

Now, the vital part is the database. This contains all the articles, history, users etc. No problem is duplicating that. There's also the directories with the images which the database points to, and these can be backed-up as well.

In our case, there's also a third component, the off-line (that means, out-of-database) folders containing the magazine scans. These are essentially treated by the wiki as external links.

Now, if anyone is interested, I could send them a back-up on DVD, plus a couple more discs containing the magazines, all for postage and disc costs (I'd say less than 5 euros?). But, in order to access the wiki database, you'll have to set up the mediawiki software on a server somewhere - even on your local pc - as well as the database software. If you're on Linux, it should be a joy. On Windows, I think it'd require a bit of looking around...

Cheers
    Gryzor

• Zitat von "Kangaroo MusiQue"

hmm.. maybe there is a plugin to make a database dump for download and a picture-base dump for the links... or something..
    as you have enough space on the server, you might be able to do this without running in problems with traffic or so.. much better to charge the users "online" instead of sending DVDs around :D

phpmyadmin does that, I think? The cPanel interface also allows a db dump - but now that I think of it I think it uses phpmyadmin!

There's also %mediawiki%/maintenance/dumpBackup.php , but this creates an xml file I don't quite know what to do with - it certainly takes a lot of effort to restore!

I guess what you mean is something that will not only dump the db, but also parse its links to images and get them all together. But I think there's also a simpler solution - just copy the file structure? I take occasional back-ups like that - just FTP everything (except for the magazines dirs) to my machine!

Now, your idea about the online mag access.... ahhhh that's a great one really! I'll add the option!!! I'll probably be creating ftp users for those that choose the online option...

Cheers
    Gryzor

• Bummer. There you have it. So I don't share the backups or I share and change the pwds afterwards.

Not a big deal, noone is really interested in actually *having* the backup. The thing is that there is a fear that something might go wrong and the wiki vanishes from online. In that case, we won't mind about the pwds in the backups...