Beiträge von PhilA

The only problem I've had with these drives is then not returning to track 0 correctly.

I.I have found that if I use the COM port and "s1" then send a string of - to instruct it to shuffle the head back to zero the read/write operation is usually more successful.

There doesn't appear to be a parameter to set for "reset to zero time", just seek/spin-up (unless I misunderstand the commands).

But yes, the drive from the AES works well to read and write the discs.

Phil

Made an arbor, with a hole drilled through and filed to a sharp 90° edge.

Test with thin card yields holes that are not bad, but could use improvement. I am going to change the shape of the cutting edge (I made this one by filing the rod flat with my angle grinder).

Philip

I will cut it smaller and attach it to the drive clamp frame of the drive, in the position of the original sector hole sensor.

The arbor there is just a test, I shall make a raised S shape part with a hole in for it to punch against, to replace the plastic sensor holder.

Phil

Hole punch prototype. Drilled a 2,5mm hole through a bolt, then threaded a hole in a section of steel to hold it. Push-button handle and a spring to return it away from the end.

Only has a single-action cutting face, I think I am going to use a diamond file and create a U shaped indention instead of the angle cut there.

Even so, into an arbor, the hole produced in paper is moderately accurate. Quite pleased with the results so far.

Phil

Yes. I think that once they left Germany, they were both put into the same box that was marked "Parcels to USA", and then they appear to have both been treated the same upon arriving!

Either way, thank you. I am building my FLUXTEEN board during my lunch break.

Testing the discs will need to wait until I have repaired the hardware faults.

Philip

Okay, it would appear poking at the chips is too slow for this particular logic, so I set up a strobe on my Arduino and checked the levels with my analyzer.

D is set, Q follows D. Correct

Buffer, Y follows A exactly. Correct.

Will get some sockets and put them back in the circuit.

Phil

Very strange. When I put the PROM code into *80 language it didn't come out like that. It makes sense, there.

I do not have an EEPROM burner here, however removing the chips and testing their truth tables shows that they have severe faults.

I think I may have a marathon session of replacing microchips ahead of me.

Had a moment today at lunch so I removed U52, 59, 43, 38

3 of them are flip-flops. One had blown out underneath, the bottom of the chip was cracked. None of them work correctly.

1 is a tristate bus buffer. It does not work either.

I think that the board saw a significant voltage surge.

Philip

This was mostly because if the contents of the PROM were dumped and translated into 8080 assembly, it made no sense ...

Would it do any good to compare our ROM dumps?

It would be interesting to check see if they match (or, at least, if they are close).

Does your PROM (chip number 56) still have its paper label attached?

Mine reads 950-511301 B58K. 950 appears on all the boards, CPU 950-0090, I/O 950-0089, video 950-0091.

Philip

PAW - I had thought about it but the PROM that it boots from is a small 512 byte device with a very small address and data space.

However, it would be possible, in theory, to emulate the PROM and attempt to make the CPU cycle.

I had started work on that while back, as mister-freeze shows, on my webpage if you view category "Lanier Model 103" ( http://www.oldbrokenjunk.com/wordpress /? cat = 21 ) you'll see I started working backwards through the circuitry from the PROM to try to understand how it was being used. This was mostly because if the contents of the PROM were dumped and translated into 8080 assembly, it made no sense ...

The CPU does not appear to be getting much in the way of signals that are not totally insane, and every boot the readout from the board differs.

I may attempt to reverse-engineer the board again, though the number of splits and vias make that difficult.

Philip

PAW That answers my question perfectly, thank you.

Philip

-Text follows -

Has the FLUXTEEN been tested with a Shugart SA-400 yet?

I quickly tested it "in-system". And yes, it works with SA-400 drives.

But keep in mind that the SA-400 has only one side and is only designed for 35T. That is not enough for most systems

Understood. I only intend on using the FLUXTEEN to copy discs intended to be read by this drive, so that is adequate.

I might have a half height 5.25" drive spare at work, I'll have to go look in the drawers of my old desk.

Thank you

Philip

PAW, @gpospi-

Thank you both for the work you have done. I have been speaking with mister-freeze and he has kindly made some discs and verified they boot correctly.

We did it this way because my Lanier currently does not boot, so if I build a FLUXTEEN and write discs from an image, I have no initial way to validate they are good.

At least this way I have a good copy, from there I shall build a FLUXTEEN and make some hard-sector discs and then copy those. I have a spare, working Shugart SA-400 drive and a power supply so that should work to create AES hard sector disc copies.

I am waiting for some replacement DP8216N bus buffer chips to arrive (actually some older German versions of the same chip, they run cooler than the Intel/National-Semiconductor ones and are more reliable) but I almost got the computer to gm give me a "faulty disc" error (screen full of "1") by moving the chips about and freezing them.

I guess this is a real world test of FLUXCOPY though!

Thank you

Philip

(Zunächst entschuldige ich mich für meine Grammatik. Dies ist über die Google-Übersetzung.) mister-freeze hat mich hierher geführt, nach einem Gespräch über meine Lanier/AES Modell 103 elektronische Schreibmaschine. Ich habe das Netzteil repariert, aber die CPU-Schaltung ist defekt. Ich habe nicht angefangen, die defekte Elektronik zu reparieren, weil ich keine Disketten hatte, um den Computer zu starten. Ich hoffe, dass FLUXCOPY das ändern könnte.

Philip