Jantar 0801 - polish clone of Osborne Executive

• Values in Jantar- and Osborne-ROM:

Code
              Jantar:           Osborne:
    389B: 8D = Cursor Left     FF = Empty
    389C: 8A = Cursor Up       FF = Shift
    389D: 8C = Cursor Down     0D = Enter
    389E: 8B = Cursor Right    27 = '

CTRL and SHIFT keys don't have their own ASCII-Codes ... does CTRL-C shows ^C after A> in CP/M?

• Values in Jantar- and Osborne-ROM:

Code
              Jantar:           Osborne:
    389B: 8D = Cursor Left     FF = Empty
    389C: 8A = Cursor Up       FF = Shift
    389D: 8C = Cursor Down     0D = Enter
    389E: 8B = Cursor Right    27 = '

CTRL and SHIFT keys don't have their own ASCII-Codes ... does CTRL-C shows ^C after A> in CP/M?

Unfortunately, no. CTRL with any key does not show anything

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• 3908 with 8B - shows nothing :cry2:

But RIGHT ARROW shows ^L

and real SHIFT key on Jantar keyboard with UP ARROW shows ^L too

arrrgghhh... :wand:

About non ASCII code:

CTRL and SHIFT keys don't have their own ASCII-Codes

What does this mean in our case? How are these keys read? Does it mean that the Jantar must have had a special version of CP/M?

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• Now I understood. That is, the procedure in CP/P "looks" at e.g. address 38C0 and expects e.g. $99, which means that this should be a code e.g. SHIFT. In the case of Jantar everything is mixed up and hence the problem. So it seems that the creators/developers of the Jantar computer wrote their keyboard driver for CP/M? Did I understand that correctly?

• and real SHIFT key on Jantar keyboard with UP ARROW shows ^L too

after the last change at position 3908? Then please change also the byte at 38C8 to 8B ...

SHIFT = as a real SHIFT key shows ^L

RIGHT ARROW = shows ^L , with no other key pressed. Just RIGHT ARROW

• So it seems that the creators/developers of the Jantar computer wrote their keyboard driver for CP/M? Did I understand that correctly?

Yes. :)

uhhhh... :weinen:

• I found it, I hope ::vodoo::

UP ARROW Q is a probalby CTRL - when dad push UP ARROW Q and C shows ^C on CP/M

• byte 38C8 = 8A

byte 3908 = 8A

But SHIFT as real shift not working (no ^L sign), and key UP ARROW working as SHIFT - I can write CAPITAL letters on Jantar keyb

• Hi,

Ok. Once dad is awake he will check these keys after changing these bytes.

all the best

Arek

PS. By the way. Thank you for deciphering the abbreviations ETX and CAN :) My dad and I were wondering what it meant :P

• Byte 3898 = 03: maps ETX (End Of Text) to ^C

Byte 38CA = 18: maps CAN (Cancel) to ^X

... these are their ASCII values, but the keys can of course be reassigned ...

Hi,

in our opinion :) these keys working as expected

all the best

Arek

• Hi,

a small summary of our search

byte 388B = UP ARROW

byte 389D = DOWN ARROW

byte 389E = RIGHT ARROW

byte 3898 = ETX

byte 38C9 = ESC

byte 38CA = CAN

byte 38C8 = SHIFT

byte 38C0 = CTRL

byte 3899 = CAPSLOCK

byte 38CC = UP ARROW WITH S

byte ???? = HT probably TAB

byte ???? = UP ARROW WITH Q probably CTRL

byte ???? = LEFT ARROW

I know I can find these three missing bytes because when I changed the whole set of bytes from 388B up to 39F3, the three keys stopped working e.g. HT stopped being TAB. It is a tedious job that I will do. Unless one of you can come up with where they are.

all the best

Arek

• byte ???? = HT probably TAB

byte ???? = LEFT ARROW

HT ("Horizontal Tabulator"?) is already defined at address 389F with ASCII code 09 ... LEFT ARROW and BACKSPACE both have ASCII code 08 on the Osborne Executive ... it's the DEL key on the Jantar for now ...

Found some assembler sources of the Osborne Executive CP/M in http://bitsavers.org/bits/User…e/Executive_Double-Sided/ ...

Ohhh HT apparently I "lost" a byte for this key somewhere. Thank you.

LEFT ARROW and BACKSPACE - now I understand. It's just the delete sign to the left of the cursor. Same function though two keys. All clear! Great!

But we don't have byte for UP ARROW WITH Q probably CTRL

As for the assembler sources. I've "licked" asember for the 6502; the Z80 is the uncharted, dark terrain of Mordor :skull:

Now my dad is trying an electrical change to make the SHIFT key work as well and the CTRL key too as it is written on the Jantar keyboard, and it seems that I will be able to present the Jantar in my museum to the public.

Your help is immense and I am very grateful to you. :anbet:

all the best

Arek

• the Z80 is the uncharted, dark terrain of Mordor :skull:

Of course not ... show me LDIR on the 6502 ... ;) On the 6502: A brilliant or sloppy design?

Now my dad is trying an electrical change to make the SHIFT key work as well and the CTRL key too as it is written on the Jantar keyboard [ ... ]

OK, "the hard way" ... ;) The Ctrl-Codes are still messed up on the Jantar ... ;)

You're welcome ... glad I could be of assistance ... :) Does the "Meritum I" (in your museum) work?

• hahaha. Concerns by Z80 are obviously due to lack of experience :)

As for the CTRL and SHIFT codes - so tell me, do you see any chance of finding and changing the codes for Jantar in CPM from Osborne without re-writing the keyboard driver? Then dad wouldn't have to change anything in the keyboard.

Yes - the Meritum (as well as the original TRS 80, which I also have in the museum) are working :D My younger brother even wrote a game "clone" of asteroids on the Meritum and Z80. Under TRS it works too :) under the name AstroKawaRoids (AstroCofeeRoids). I can send file here if you want :D

• As for the CTRL and SHIFT codes - so tell me, do you see any chance of finding and changing the codes for Jantar in CPM from Osborne without re-writing the keyboard driver? Then dad wouldn't have to change anything in the keyboard.

In the Jantar MAME driver, pressing CTRL-A outputs 01 (which is correct), CTRL-B shows 18 hex: but 02 is the correct ASCII code ... the ASCII codes for each CTRL key can also be changed like above: it remains only to find out the corresponding addresses in the IMD ... ;) The "problem" is still that the CTRL key itself (like SHIFT) cannot be remapped ...

Please post the Meritum I game in the Tandy TRS-80 section ... :)

• Found some assembler sources of the Osborne Executive CP/M in http://bitsavers.org/bits/User…e/Executive_Double-Sided/ ...

Hi,

I took a short look into the sources and found the following in "SYSSIMAC.imd.IMG" File "SYSS1.MAC". May be interesting in terms of keyboard. (Attention: The image has a wrong extension, is only .imd not .IMG!)

PAW

P.S.: I have no idea about Osborne computer, but in Z80 programming!

• New IMD should fix CTRL A - Z codes ... tested with current patch for MAME ...

arekbr please check the + key again (also with UP for SHIFT): it should display 1 or 2 for testing ...

OK. Sent. Waiting for dad's reply

• New IMD should fix CTRL A - Z codes ... tested with current patch for MAME ...

arekbr please check the + key again (also with UP for SHIFT): it should display 1 or 2 for testing ...

no SHIFT = 1

with SHIFT = 2

Of course our SHIFT is a UP ARROW

• OK. Dad will check 38D5 and 3915 modifications, and next I change 38CC to 8A and we will check

• Modifications 38D5 = 2B for + and 3915 = 2A for * work.

Regarding mod UP ARROW S - I have changed this byte, but I am not sure. In CP/M, is it possible to move the cursor freely between lines, or do I have to start some text editor and only there will the cursor be able to move between lines?