Jantar 0801 - polish clone of Osborne Executive

• we ran the wordstar editor and managed to check it out

DOWN ARROW works like the down cursor, but you have to hold down the temporary SHIFT (which is our UP ARROW)

RIGHT ARROW with which is our temporary (SHIFT) UP ARROW gives "

no " above 2 which is our temporary (SHIFT) UP ARROW

no % above 5 which is our temporary (SHIFT) UP ARROW

no = which is our temporary (SHIFT) UP ARROW

no : which is our temporary (SHIFT) UP ARROW

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• we ran the wordstar editor and managed to check it out

Can't reproduce the missing characters (", %, =, :) with Jantar-MAME and Osborne Executive Word Star ...

Since CP/M ran on many computers, each manufacturer made their own changes to it. Some programs therefore have to be patched to use special keys (function keys and cursor keys) at all ... WordStar doesn't know these special keys: the cursor is moved using CTRL key combinations ... some patches mapped the cursor keys to ^E, ^S, ^D and ^X ...

• Hi JenGun,

Indeed, you are right. Under "pure" CP/M these keys work. :D Checked just now. These keys do not work under WORDSTAR

Additional information. Also under pure CP/M when a key marked as CAPSLOCK is pressed, the letter Ł works as TAB

all the best

Arek

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• For the IMDs on http://bitsavers.org/bits/User…e/Executive_Double-Sided/ this DPB should work:

Code
                  SPT  BSH BLM EXM    DSM     DRM  AL0-AL1    CKS     OFF  PSH PHM  
    DPB(HEX):    0050h 04h 0Fh 01h   00C2h   003Fh 80h 00h   0010h   0001h 03h 07h  
    DPB(DEC):      80    4  15   1    194      63  128   0     16       1    3   7  

BLOCK       EXTENT      MAX DISK    DIRECTORY   CHECK SUM   SECTOR    
              SIZE (K)    FOLDS       SIZE (K)    ENTRIES     ENTRIES     SIZE      
    DPB(DEC):   2K           1            390         64          64       1024                                                                                     

... the "Skew" seems to be 2: assembler source files look plausible ...

• Hi,

I am happy to be part of this interesting project of Jantar emulation in MAME :) and thanks to your help in "reviving" Jantar in the real world.

I want to ask about the message a few threads earlier, when PAW showed in the CPM sources the key definitions. So, is it possible to recompile from the sources this part for Jantar (as its builders probably did) and "recreate" the CP/M system in the PL/Jantar version?

On this depends whether Dad should wait with reworking the two electrical lines in the keyboard, so that the SHIFT and CTRL keys are in their correct place. I'm asking because I don't fully understand yet some of the dependencies and what is possible and what is impossible. :)

Not to mention such "spells" which would allow to take defined fonts from Jantar ROM and make it possible to use them in normal work under CP/M. Because probably in 1986 it was like that, when Jantar was used in some office in Poland. :)

all the best

Arek

• So, is it possible to recompile from the sources this part for Jantar (as its builders probably did) and "recreate" the CP/M system in the PL/Jantar version?

Yes, access to the source files on the IMDs above is the first step: there is most likely a "keyboard table" that the Osborne CP/M uses and where ALPHA LOCK, CTRL and SHIFT are also queried ...

• Found this in ROM0.MAC (FOG 184):

and the hex sequence (E3 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 02 3B 04) at position 388D in the IMD ... we are getting closer ... :)

• YES!!! :anbet::anbet::anbet:

SHIFT ok. CTRL probably too. CTRL+C shows ^C

I know of no other way to check CTRL

• CAPSLOCK also works,

but the DEL key has changed. It is now the opposite of what it was. DEL is without SHIFT and underscore _ with SHIFT

• Keyboard masks and matrix locations for the Jantar:

• JenGun all arrows keys working💪 like a charm

Cool! Even back then, using arrow keys in WordStar was "luxury" ... ;) There is a small disadvantage: if the cursor keys were assigned the WordStar functions, they also generated these key codes on the CP/M command line ... but we can "fix" that:

Code
    38DB - 38DE : 08 0B 0A 0C

now SHIFT cursor keys always generates the Osborne "CP/M codes" ... we could also assign the CTRL cursor keys:

Code
    391B - 391E : 01 12 03 06

for some WordStar functions:

Code
    CTRL - LEFT  = Word Left   (^A)
    CTRL - UP    = Up Screen   (^R)
    CTRL - DOWN  = Down Screen (^C)
    CTRL - RIGHT = Word Right  (^F)
  • Hi,

Here's what I'm thinking and my understanding is this. The moment we manage to complete the tests and changes to the CP/M Osborne image code, I will have to write all the changes into any IMD file I want to run on Jantar. I guess that's the only solution right?

All the best

Arek

• Hi,

Super. I'll prepare such an image for myself on a real floppy disk :) Cool stuff. JenGun , do you think there's anything else you'll/will improve on the CP/M image you're working on? Will you, for example, try to get Polish diacritics on the screen, or do you think at this point that CP/M and the modifications for Jantar are finished?

all the best

Arek

• Will you, for example, try to get Polish diacritics on the screen

Of course! :) They are in Jantar-ROM, but are overwritten by the data of the Osborne CP/M system tracks: CHARGENdoes not display these characters (Main System Set and Alternate System Set), but seems the character sets are stored at position 2890 in the IMD file ... in the Jantar-ROM they are probably at position 520 ...

• You are right. So we are sure that CP/M for Jantar was not in Polish. Nor was it possible to write in WordStar in Polish. It follows that this letter Ł was created exclusively for the initial board follows that this letter Ł was created exclusively for the initial board. 🤣 for ZAKŁAD (Facility)

For information on what sound this letter has, then just say Wood or Welcome, Woow.... The beginning of each word is just the Ł sound.

• So we are sure that CP/M for Jantar was not in Polish. Nor was it possible to write in WordStar in Polish.

No, we can't be sure. :) This is only the initial font in the Jantar-ROM, the "Main System Set" and "Alternate System Set" are stored in the system tracks, but we don't know what it originally looked like in "Jantar-CP/M". Due to the additional keys to enter the Polish special characters, this most likely also worked in WordStar (like the german version with "umlauts"). There is no technical reason why this won't work: you can change the character set and keyboard layout ...

• Ahhh. That would be great. Then it's time to learn MAME, run the JANTAR emulator and draw a font with Polish characters. 💪💥

• Then it's time to learn MAME, run the JANTAR emulator [ ... ]

Why not use the real machine for this? Rumor has it that 99% of the keys are now assigned correctly ... ;) To use the JANTAR-patch, MAME must be compiled from the sources: git clone https://github.com/mamedev/mame fetches over 1 GB of data ... compiling also takes some time ... but maybe you can post a few photos of the running JANTAR here in the meantime? :)

• Hahaha. You read my mind. My father and I were talking about it yesterday. That's exactly what I said. I'm just waiting for the interface between the gotek connector for the 5.25 station to mount permanently and the Polish characters I'll be creating right on the Jantar when I'm standing in the museum.

Of course, I will take pictures of Jantar.

All the best

Arek