EACA Genie III CP/M 2.2

• deramp

Thanks for your help, it's 30 years ago I used the tools we need now.

It was frustrated that I forgot with CP/M 2 a command line entry in submit files need the xsub.com. Mostly I used ZCPR / NZCOM or Z3PLUS for playing with my Genie IIIs system.

I made a cup of tea and will read your text carefully. Making the work on the real Genie III is good for an old man like me - it's not so fast as with an emulator and the sound of the teac drives is really amazing. :)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• deramp

There was something wrong . I made a "sysgen genie0.com" - looking with anadisk there where som unknown bytes on the bootsectors and even no boot.

The genie0.bin is the IMD.BIN file. shortened to the first tracks as there is only E5E5....

• Let's see what SYSGEN is writing. Run SYSGEN under DDT and stop it right before it writes to disk. We should see the proper disk image starting with 21 50 42 in RAM at 1000h. Let me see what the dump shows (the D1000)

A>DDT SYSGEN.COM

DDT VERS 2.2

NEXT PC

0880 0100

-IGENIE0.COM

-G,4C4

CP/M 2.2 on CP/M 3 SYSGEN - Version 3.0*04C4

-D1000

• Welchem TRS-80 entspricht denn der Genie III? Sind die ROMs untereindander austauschbar?

Gruß

Robert

Question: Which TRS-80 corresponds to Genie III? Are the ROM's interchangeable?

The Genie III is TRS-80 compatible because he can run NEWDOS. There is no hardware compatibility with any TRS-80 computers and no ROM'S are interchangeable.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• It looks like the original COPYSYS program never worked with an image file specified on the command line. It fails to read the file specified into memory because it mixes normal BDOS file I/O with BIOS-direct disk I/O while attempting to read the file and this fails. I have fixed the file load code to use just BDOS file I/O to read the command line file into memory.

Use the attached SYSGEN.COM program to write GENIE0.COM (it's the same) by running and let me know if the resulting disk boots.

A>SYSGEN GENIE0.COM

• Cool! What was the file section of the disk from - another CP/M 2.2 system?

Mike

I didn't complete understood what you mean.

So I made the disk, saw it's booting but nothing inside.

On my back I have a PC with IMD, SCOPY and so on for making and converting floppy disks <-> images.

A lot of images and truly the files of other systems are on this pc and I copied some of them for testing to the floppy as I have the definitions for 22disk.

Is this the right answer?

Oh.. this is an old picture.

This is just in the moment.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von fritzeflink ()

• deramp

Thanks so much. If I like to change the CBIOS or like to use an other CCP like dosplus what do I have to do for making a new sysgen genie0X.com.

Please don't hurry with explanation as it's time for bed here and I wish all a good night. :sleeping:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• I can remake the notes for putting together the CP/M image based on what we’ve figured out here. I assume you want to run the procedure and SYSGEN under CP/M 2.2 instead of CP/M 3 now that 2.2 is running?

I can port the real SYSGEN for CP/M 2.2 to your machine, or you can compile the SYSGEN.C program you have if you can find and run the C compiler for it. Let me know which way you prefer since the choice affects the procedure slightly.

Mike

• I can remake the notes for putting together the CP/M image based on what we’ve figured out here. I assume you want to run the procedure and SYSGEN under CP/M 2.2 instead of CP/M 3 now that 2.2 is running?

I can port the real SYSGEN for CP/M 2.2 to your machine, or you can compile the SYSGEN.C program you have if you can find and run the C compiler for it. Let me know which way you prefer since the choice affects the procedure slightly.

Mike

1st Running the sysgen under CP/M 3 was the only way for me and I had no experience with sysgen or movecpm under CP/M 2. I will save the last genie0_1.zip as reference for me.

As you ask I see that the finest way will be running sysgen with CP/M 2. I'm not a programmer so I don't know about 'C', but it is a interesting idea. Mr. Holte used the MIC compiler from G.Kersting / H.Rose and I have the software (mic318) with german manual of course.

Mr Holte wrote the CP/M even for the Genie IIIs and did a lot of more 'C' code for the Genie IIIs as the IIIs was a faster computer with more ram and possibility's.

I believe I'll try to compile the sysgen.c first under CP/M 2 and then I'll will see if the code is complete and if it works.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• First try with MI-C was not successful. The mi-c I have is the version I got from a friend and I did't know if it's complete. It seemd so but he patched it for ZCPR. My own version I got is lost.

He compiled with C.SUB with patched for ZCPR:

CCZ /S0 $1

ABBRUCH $1.LST

M80 =$1/Z

L80 $1/N,XXXMAINZ,$1,LIB/S/E

ERA $1.REL

As I have no XXXMAINZ i changed it to XXMAIN in the CC.SUB but this may be the reason for the compiling error.:

CCZ /S0 $1

ABBRUCH $1.LST

M80 =$1/Z

L80 $1/N,XXXMAIN,$1,LIB/S/E

ERA $1.REL

Here the console output:

• I have attached a zip file with everything needed to re-create CP/M 2.2 from sources when running under CP/M 2.2. I have also included the original SYSGEN from DRI updated to write the Genie III boot tracks. Give this a whirl and let me know if the procedure works for you.

As you know, the procedure was a little different when you had to run under CP/M 3. Let me know if you want me to put together a similar package and procedure for creating CP/M 2.2 when running under CP/M 3.

Mike

• deramp

YES, it works well. I made all steps and this is like it must be. So I ignore the MI-C file for sysgen and stay on your way.

If I like to make the CP/M 2.2 under CP/M 3 didn't we have a running way ?

What do you like to make it better?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• The way image files and SYSGEN were organized in CP/M 2.2 allowed this neat little trick. Give this a try:

A>DDT GENIECPM.COM

DDT VERS 2.2

NEXT PC

3500 0100

-ISYSGEN.COM

-R

NEXT PC

3500 0100

-G0

A>SAVE 52 GENIECPM.COM

Now, GENIECPM.COM is a self-installing executable file with SYSGEN built into it. Simply type GENIECPM with no parameters :)

A>GENIECPM

GENIE III SYSGEN VER 2.0

SOURCE DRIVE NAME (OR RETURN TO SKIP) (...press RETURN here)

DESTINATION DRIVE NAME (OR RETURN TO REBOOT)A

DESTINATION ON A, THEN TYPE RETURN

• deramp

If I like to make the CP/M 2.2 under CP/M 3 didn't we have a running way ?

What do you like to make it better?

I'll put together a procedure and files for doing this under CP/M 3 later this afternoon. Do you think I should add instructions for creating SYSGEN.COM from SYSGEN.ASM for both procedures?

Mike

• I believe this is helpfull but please don't hurry ... I'm an old man with a young wife. :S

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz

• Mhmm I did so but seemd to save DDT as it print DDT... when starting the saved .com file.

I'll try it again.

Ahh... -R must be a UPPERCASE R :fp:

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

fritz