PET reset switch circuit with a condensator for pulling the diagnostics line down

• Hi all, quick question, Pronto-PET had a neat little reset switch which on a quick press performed a reset but if you held in the switch it would pull the diagnostic line down and reset the pet into monitor mode. All mounted in a compact box.

Anyone got a circuit diagram for such a reset switch or the best design for a compact circuit

it’s in a very small box maybe 1.5cm by 3 cm … only connections to the motherboard are pin 22 j4, pin 25 j4 and pin 20 j9

• Something along these lines i suppose.
    In this simulation, the top 1K and 10K resistors going to 5V is what is in the pet - the reset line is pulled high via a 1K resistor and the PIA chip has an internal pullup. I guessed it as 10K but it might be a different value.

The 10K bleeder resistor and 500nF cap values are placeholders. They need to be dimensioned according to the internal pullup of the via and the timing needed.

A bigger bleeder and/or a bigger cap and the time you have to press the reset goes up, but a bigger cap also means after a reset the diag line gets pulled down by the charging cap.

Heres the file for https://www.falstad.com/circuit/circuitjs.html if you wanna play with the values

reset_and_diag.txt

• Thankyou … the only thing is there is no separate 5v line with the reset switch circuit … I guess 5v comes from the reset line when it is high ?

• The main advantage of issuing a reset with diag line low is that the ram does not get cleared.

If you also pull the NMI line during reset, you will not end up in TIM, but with ready on the command line.

This may be preferred in some situations.

+++ ATH