Beiträge von AndyG

Looks good, I tried to find the screen dump code but nothing exists …. Sadly

I really don't know - its as if the character rom is not seen until the board is activated.

Mine was correct from the start. Can you sweep out the IC's with different ones to see if that has an effect ?

Apologies for the basic 4 - I will have to relook at the disassembly code to see what I missed as thought I caught everything.

I noticed something different on your photo - around IC13 you have a large capacitor - I just put in a 100nf cap. Not sure if that has anything but its a difference

I noticed something different on your photo - around IC13 you have a large capacitor - I just put in a 100nf cap. Not sure if that has anything but its a difference

My PET booted as normal with the Superset board (clone) installed - no inverted screen. The white sockets could be an issue - I have those also ... used a generous dose of Dioxit Gold over the contacts ....

Some observations along the way as it took too long to put the old board back.

(1) remove all add-on rows from the main motherboard.

(2) I got flickering lines and line drawings similar to yours - traced that down to poor connections with the onboard RAM and possible 2114 when reinstalling the old board. Maybe when installing the clone (but think that maybe poor soldering of the ribbon cable) - try gently pressing along the ram chips and other connections and see how the screen changes

(3) For basic 2 you need the basic 2 edit rom/supersoft which I posted but attach here again

(4) Going to recheck the BOM and IC positioning to make sure nothing wrong there.

supersofth409inchbasic2.bin.zip

Make sure you have no add on roms plugged into the main pet motherboard …. As it uses address space $9000-$afff. Add on roms can be plugged into the supersoft board.

Had been thinking - try basic 2 as I may have missed something in converting to basic 4 though sure I tried it in the past. The PET booted normally no inverted screen etc.

Also make sure you have no EPROMs in the main pet motherboard at $9000 and $a000 … those should be plugged into the supersoft board.

Watch out for how the Yellow wire is connected to Pin 11 of UE4

It easily shorts on other pins …. Been a real pain and found that again today when I pulled the board out and got a weird boot screen. Was that yellow wire connected to pin 11 of UE4

When I first got the hr40b board the previous owner found a point on the motherboard where there was a through hole 🕳️ connected to that pin where they soldered a vertical post to clip onto.

Thomas , no problem… I can post here. I have also been studying the HR40 board and cannot see anything obviously different to the original board. I think I am going to have to build it up myself to look at signals etc.

The edit rom firmware is uploaded here

SuperSoft-HR/Firmware at master · sjgray/SuperSoft-HR
    Project to Clone/Improve the SuperSoft High Resolution Graphics Board for CBM/PET - sjgray/SuperSoft-HR
    github.com

The character rom is the same as I posted earlier in this thread ….

Andy

One thing I remembered with the HR40b … there are a few different versions of the fat-40 universal board ….. some do not take kindly to EPROMs as character roms … they can offset the character count on the screen so the previous line ends with R of ready for example.

I know the boards that have the metal shield box over the piezo work just fine. If the board is a univ 1 version it could have the issue with EPROMs as character roms… pretty obvious when you boot up.

If you have lots of vertical lines then make sure the board is pushed in all the way around the character rom and the piggy back socket is correctly mounted over the crtc chip … also the cable isn’t shorting on other pins in that socket.

Andy

The hr40b works on my end ..... so does the hr80

Wondering if I should build up the hr-40 and see what happens. What edit rom did you use for the HR40b ? This is confusing to say the least as why would it work on my end and not your end ?

Matthias,

Can you confirm what the startup screen on the pet looks like ? Is it inverted or standard ?

Also check the wiring around the 2114 ram chip as per the photos ...

If there is a fault on the board I need to start somewhere in comparing with the original and all tests so far have shown no differences

Cheers

Andy

the two line plot is likely an addressing issue - need to check the addressing lines to the 2114 chip. I have seen this before with the HR40b card in the past .... I will check the original against clone when get a moment. Sorry for being slow but maxed out with work.