Jantar 0801 - polish clone of Osborne Executive

• and the Polish characters I'll be creating right on the Jantar when I'm standing in the museum.

Since the number is limited to 128, some characters need to be replaced, for German umlauts usually the square brackets and backslash:

... attached is the latest version of the Jantar MAME driver which tries to match the original keyboard layout as much as possible ...

• Hi JenGun ,

Difficult decisions will have to be made. In the Polish alphabet, we have as many as 9 special characters - ąćłńóśżż ż

Fortunately, Jantar will not be used for work in the office, but as an exhibit and a computer to play with in the museum, as Space Invaders or PacMan will bring joy to everyone :)

Please, write to me, whether in the CP/M file which you sent last time you will be making changes/improvements according to this driver for MAME, or I can consider that the stage of changes in IMD is finished and nothing more, in its basic version, i.e. without Polish characters will not be modified.

all the best

Arek

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• that the stage of changes in IMD is finished and nothing more, in its basic version, i.e. without Polish characters will not be modified.

That should be all at the moment ... :) Keys for [, ], \, @ and ~ are working?

yes, everything works as it should 8)

I'm never angry at anybody! No human being can do anything important enough for that. You get angry at people when you feel that their acts are important. I don't feel that way any longer.

• Difficult decisions will have to be made. In the Polish alphabet, we have as many as 9 special characters - ąćłńóśżż ż

Since it only makes sense to redefine "printable characters" (ASCII codes 32 to 128), this gets a bit tricky ... ;) The character set with German umlauts defines | to ö which leads to "strange" screen output in some programs. In the Osborne-CP/M you should be able to switch between the "Main" and "Alternate" character sets with CTRL - TAB ...

• Difficult decisions will have to be made. In the Polish alphabet, we have as many as 9 special characters - ąćłńóśżż ż

Since it only makes sense to redefine "printable characters" (ASCII codes 32 to 128), this gets a bit tricky ... ;) The character set with German umlauts defines | to ö which leads to "strange" screen output in some programs. In the Osborne-CP/M you should be able to switch between the "Main" and "Alternate" character sets with CTRL - TAB ...

Ok. That makes sense. Although at the moment only WordStar comes to mind as the 'other' programme to show in the museum. It's going to be quite a challenge, as the quality of the original Jantar keyboard and the "comfort" of typing on it is indescribable. :fp:

• Yes, games are definitely the best way to showcase a computer in a museum.

• Yes, games are definitely the best way to showcase a computer in a museum.

Then the JANTAR will probably not be as popular as "game consoles" (like the C-64) in your museum ... ;) In any case, you should take a look at the IMDs of FOG (First Osborne Group) Library Disks (single files and content listing posted by fritzeflink in #54) at http://bitsavers.org/bits/User…FOG_Master_Disks/FOG_CPM/ ... the IMDs are in the Osborne Executive CP/M format and should therefore be able to be used directly on the JANTAR ...

• hahaha. JenGun You'd be surprised. I have a Commodore Pet in the museum, I have a TRS80 (unfortunately it has a broken monitor as of late. Maybe I can fix it). I even have a console with a 1977 PONG game with the ABN AMRO Netherlands logo, which, as I found a note on the internet, you could buy for 50% of the price when you opened a bank account just with ABN Amro. And these computers, with no graphics and great capabilities arouse a lot of interest. As of today, I have started my radio show on a local radio station (Radio show with me :)) I'm on left side on the screen . It's in Polish, but always on Fridays at 14:30 I'll talk about one game you can play at the museum at the weekend :) As the first game, of course, Mario Bros and the like (and so on Commodore PET will be Donkey Kong in text version)

all the best

Arek

• We defined the extra DEL key on the Jantar with the LEFT ARROW (Backspace) ASCII code 8: that's probably not correct ... I assume the original code was 7F, which is used for "Rubout" in CP/M. The behavior of this key can be set via the GENCPM utility:

Rubout echoes erased character (Y) ?
    Enter Y - Rubout (7FH) moves forward one column and displays the previous character.
    Enter N - Rubout moves back one column and erases the previous character.

• Dad has just sent a message - Jantar ready for collection.

Inauguration at the museum at the weekend :) My all friend! Especially JenGun - you are part of this success and this wonderful moment :D

And here are short videos of running Jantar and the GOTEK emulator as a base station

https://youtu.be/8RuOAH9IPaM

and running from a real 5.25 station.

https://youtu.be/VT8pASi2lBE

There will definitely be more photos from the museum on the FB profile :)

Thank you so much!

• Hi JenGun , hi All

JANTAR is already with me. It will be at the museum on Saturday. I am now looking for an Arkanoid or Breakout game, but in the Osborne Executive version. I have the Breakout version but it doesn't work, which incidentally says in the description that it only works on Osborne 1.

Do you know of a version for the Executive?

And here are other photos of Jantar, already fully assembled.

• This is Jantar FDD

Sorry for the confusion! :) I mean the Floppy Disk Controller on the Jantar board:

... in FOGCPM.191.imd is:

Code
    John Wyatt's Future Systems Double Sided Double Density disk drive upgrade for the Osborne Executive.

... the included ROM file EXEC13.OBJ shows version 1.3 ... probably the Jantar ROM 1.3 is based on this version and supports also Double Sided/Double Density Disks ... :/

• Hi JenGun ,

ahah... no... is my fault. FDC is not a FDD :)

At the moment there is a FD1793A-02 station controller inserted on the Jantar board, because when the drives didn't work my dad was looking for a fault. Therefore he started with the disk controller. When it turned out that it was not the controller but the separator FDC9216, he did not take out this FD1793A-02 controller any more, but the original controller was SYP1793-002

It's interesting what you write. Is there a special command for formatting a DS/DD floppy?

all the best

Arek

• Is there a special command for formatting a DS/DD floppy?

This "Disk Drive Upgrade" replaces some system files (CPM3.SYS, COPY.COM, COPYSYS.COM) ... the attached IMD has the original Osborne Executive format (Single Sided/Double Density) and should boot ... please try COPY.COM to format a new disk in drive B: (Doubled Sided is already selected) ...

• JenGun

Unfortunately, you are right. I checked a lot of floppy disks a while ago and an error appears when copying as well as formatting.

• A question from a different angle. Do you know of any windows tool with which to "add" files to Osborne floppy disk images? I found a tool for macOS, but I don't have a mac

• At first glance, the Jantar V1.3-ROM looks more similar to the original Osborne Executive V1.2-ROM, meaning it only supports single-sided drives although the original FDC (Fujitsu MB8876/77) was suitable for double-sided drives ... according to a letter (dated August 18, 1985) (RELEASE.TXT in FOGCPM.183.imd) , Osborne Computer Corporation officially gave the FOG permission:

... that same year, Osborne Computer Corporation went bankrupt ...

• Hi,

I share knowledge and a concrete example. I checked all this yesterday in my museum. The floppy disks work on a real computer, the correct images are created from floppy (replace write with read and everything works). I am very happy!

Everything worked out fine, under Windows. Back to burning floppy disks for TRS-80, and Osborne/Jantar (CP/M) with Panasonic disk drive (model Panasonic JU-475-3) and Greaseweazle interface. Previous attempts were missing the --dd L parameter. Missing this parameter caused a lot of write/read errors. The floppy disks seemed to be corrupted. I also checked the re-created floppy disk images in TRSTools and CP/M Image File Explore

Here is the command to write a floppy disk for the TRS-80 (LDOS 5.31)

gw.exe write --diskdefs "C:\greaseweazle\diskdefs.cfg" --format=TRS80NDSSDD.40T --dd L --tracks=step=2 --device=COM4 "c:\TRS\Ldos.imd"

Here for Osborne/Jantar and a floppy with CP/M:

gw.exe write --diskdefs "C:\greaseweazle\diskdefs.cfg" --format=occ1.dd --dd L --tracks=step=2 --device=COM4 "c:\Jantar\Jantar_CPM.imd"

diskdefs.cfg file:

disk TRS80NDSSSD.40T
    cyls = 40
    heads = 1
    tracks * ibm.fm
    secs = 10
    id=0
    bps = 256
    gap1=20
    gap2=20
    gap3=20
    rate = 125
    end
    end