Posts by stynx

ich habe gelesen, dass viele Infizierte nur sehr milde Symptome haben, wie Halskratzen etc, und daher evtl gar nicht in die Statistik einfliessen. Es mag sein, dass dadurch die Mortalitätsrate von Corona höher erscheint, als sie wirklich ist.

Das halte ich auch für möglich.

Die Sterblichkeitsrate bei COVID-19 liegt (derzeit) bei 0,7% bis 3%.

Die Grippe hat eine Sterblichkeitsrate von 0,1% bis 0,3%.

Also deutlich bis zu 10x höher. Diese Werte sind übrigens über alle Altersgruppen und Infizierte.

-Jonas

Mein Senf:

Ich schätze, dass die Situation nur noch schwer zu kontrollieren ist. Eventuell gesellt sich dann COVID-19 zur allgemeinen Grippe als die aggressivere Version hinzu. Problematisch an COVID-19 ist, dass sie ansteckend ist, bevor Symptome aufgetreten sind. Also sowas wie eine Grippe+. Zwar sehe ich das eher nüchtern, blöd ist es aber trotzdem.

Bei COVID-19 haben Kindern und alte Menschen eine bis zu 10x höhere Sterblichkeitsrate als bei der gemeinen Grippe. Bis sich eine gewisse Immunisierung in der Gesellschaft ausgebildet hat kann der Virus aber weiter mutieren. Derzeit ist COVID-19 scheinbar noch nicht massiv mutiert wie die gewöhnliche Grippe (für die es ja keine allgemein wirksame Impfung gibt) und alle derzeit Infizierten haben den gleichen Vierenstamm. Dies kann sich aber bei entsprechend vielen Trägern schnell ändern, besonders, wenn jemand mit Grippe und COVID-19 gleichzeitig infiziert ist und die Viren Gene austauschen.

Es ist sicherlich nicht alles in den Medien aus der Luft gegriffen, aber man sollte die Informationen mit bedacht konsumieren. Derzeit scheint es offen zu sein, ob eine Eindämmung noch möglich ist.

-Jonas

Schön, wenn man in so einer Liste so ein sattes Kreuz ganz rechts machen kann. ;)

Bei der Art Gerät sind ja immer schon die Kataloge "hochwertig" und "edel" in der Anmutung gewesen. Gar kein Vergleich zu den schlabberigen Flyern von Commodore und Co.

Ist der Katalog eigentlich innen wirklich in so einem eigenartigen Pseudo-Grau - oder ist das eigentlich Farbe und runtergerechnet, damit das PDF nicht zu groß wird.

Der Katalog ist tatsächlich nur s/w. Nur der Einband ist in Farbe. Diese Kataloge wurden von Systemhäusern bei Kundengesprächen herausgegeben und die Verkaufspreise waren oft um 10-20% günstiger als im Katalog. Bei Auslaufmodellen konnte das auch mal bis zu 50% Preisnachlass gegenüber des Listenpreises sein, wenn man zudem Lehrer oder Schüler war.

-Jonas

Apple Katalog von Juli 1993

APPLE_07.93_.pdf

Mein Vater hatte sich dann November 1993 einen Performa 475 gekauft, obwohl er sich bereits den Mac IIvx angekreuzt hatte. Das Preis/Leistungsverhältnis war beim im Oktober des selben Jahres eingeführten Performa 475 einfach besser. Der Performa 475 mit Monitor, Scanner, Drucker und Software hat damals 5500,- DM gekostet. Der Performa kam mit 4Mb Ram und wurde Anfang '94 für sagenhafte 400,- DM (8mb Noname-Ram, das nichtmal richtig in den Slot passte und zurechtgefeilt werden musste :-P ) auf 12Mb aufgerüsteten und es kam dann auch kurz drauf ein CD-Laufwerk dazu um Myst spielen zu können. Den Rechner hat mein Vater dann bis ca. 2001 verwendet, bevor er meinen massiv aufgerüsteten PM7200 (375Mhz G3, 320 MiB Ram, 32X CD, UW-SCSI, Voodoo3, usw.) übernommen hat.

-Jonas

The digital side looks good as far as i can see.

On the analog side:

Each output may need its own capacitor and OPAMP. You have to try this out. You should add jumpers at the junctions of the output circuit to be able to change the output circuit without many modifications later.

Analog stuff is kinda evil and may need many revisions until it works like you want it to work. As you want to add additional analog circuitry in the future, it may be most helpful to move the analog part of the card onto a separate board. If you have a functioning digital part and all the respective outputs are working, you will have to experiment on the analog side.

Making a full board for each iteration might be too expensive. (ignore the red circles...)

You have 2x 2to4 decoders per 74ls139 IC. Why do you need all the other logic?

Using only the 2:4 decoders dring the issue that the DAC will always be selected when the mixer control register is selected. The nor circuits cuts the 4 bit range into 3 ports to the DAC and one for the register.

It is no problem if the DAC is selected as well, when the MIX-register is selected. The D-output of the day will just have a small voltage present. I have tested this and there is no problem with the circuit. Just leave the D-output open if you have the the mix-register on the same port.

You don't really need the gate-inputs on the PIT for muting the sound. The DACs will make the sound inaudible when they are on 0V (value of 0x00h). The whole mix circuit is nice and all, but not really needed if you use the DACs. You will have to write a byte anyways if you want a single channel to be muted...

-Jonas

:grübel: What about this?

You have 2x 2to4 decoders per 74ls139 IC. Why do you need all the other logic?

EDIT:

I think I know now what you want to do... you want to integrate 2 cards into one?

Let's leave the 2nd PIT and DAC for later... just concentrate on a basic design for 1 PIT first.

You don't have to loose the fourth DAC-output. It may be good to have separate voice (like noise) and the DAC will allow the control of that voice...

digital noise:

-Jonas

You don't have to decode A0 and A1 in this manner.

The DAC and PIT can be accessed by decoding the A2 and A3 using a 74LS139. Further 4 addresses can be decoded by using the 2nd 2to4 decoder on the 139.

Yo will need a lot of DACs for controlling analog circuits. You can use the additional (4 address wide) select lines for another DAC or another PIT for future development. You gain another 3 single byte wide addresses (sel2, sel3 and sel4) to use in the future.

VSS on the TLC7226 should be 0V (negative voltage!) for a simple 0-5V range.

VDD may be 12V (VDD should be bigger than the ref. voltage. But you can go with 5V)

The VSS can be set to -5V if the analog subsystem needs negative control voltages.

The range would be -5V to +5V:

0-127=-5V to GND

128-255= GND to +5V

+5V for the reference may be generated from a 78L05 and -5V from a 79L05 from the +12V/-12V supply. This will reduce potential digital noise on the DAC (may be overkill).

The decoder could look something like this:

I'm finishing the schematics of the current version (board nº 2), changes on the design were made on the fly and written in paper. Following, the board nº1, which is the minimal test.

Red spots on the component side are the points where the daughterboard was soldered. As it was reused to patch board nº2 it is not in attached there anymore. On the pictures, the traces cannot be seen, but they can be easily spotted when working on the board. The white coating was chosen because I can use then my permanent markers on it to signal where I should solder a wire.

Its current status will be made public in a while, while I gather the notes and modify the schematics.

If you make a new revision of the card you could maybe add a prototyping area?

What kind of bus are you using? Is it a common 96pin bus like the ECB?

Are there any clock signals on the bus, that may be used to synchronise the address-decoding and may be used to replace the crystal?

-Jonas

Don't beat yourself over the small stuff ;-)

You are going in the right direction by taken small steps to design one portion of the system at a time. You have proven your concept by accessing it over the intended system bus and you have even programmed some sequences.

The important thing now is to document your results and possible problems you have spotted. Make a version numbering system to be able to identify reoccurring problems.

Just some things I have spotted in your earlier design (schematics you have posted):

-Your decoding circuit is overly complicated. Try to simplify circuits and reduce the needed components. Every component can be a point of failure and introduces more latency.

- Try to use common parts, even if they result in unused logic circuits. the 4-bit register for example sets all 3 gates at the same time. setting a gate may have influence on another gate.

- If you have no shortage of addresses, use them for switching of settings... Like a write to address #4 switches gate1 off and a read switches it on (you use 4 addresses on the ls138 for the gates anyway).

could you post your current design/layout?

-Jonas

I use the remaining D flip flop from the '74 responsible of halving the clock plus an additional '74 to use those inputs. It was a bit annoying to have that thing making loud tones without control. :D

It's all under control now.:thumbup:

I have heard some reduction on volume randomly... noise? I imagine that the amount of wiring to make it work is introducing it.

Did you use the DAC08 ? They are a bit hard to master. Pullups or pulldowns are needed to make the H/L transition fast and reliable. The 74LS273 should be good for the input stage but there may be a situation where for a very short amount of time the 74LS273 is latched while the data-bus is not ready. As the DAC08 has a <100ns (>10mhz) setting time, even short digital blips can result in a recognizable reduction in output-voltage.

As i said earlier: I like the TLC7226 Quad-DAC with MCU-Interface because it is easy to use and has a small decoder integrated :-) it has a "slow" 5us setting time (200khz) which is more than good enough for audio. This may filter some of the potential blips in a computer system.

-Jonas

The 8353/8254 has a gate input for each of the 3 outputs. You can use this the mute either all channels together or individually. The inputs are nor really useful for sound-generation as any manipulation is rather done by an analog circuit on the final waveform of each channel.

The ALF MC16 card had a small circuit to use the gate-inputs of the first 2 channels to be enabled/disabled from the 3rd channel. Some interesting effects were possible but this feature was rarely used in any song (i have fond no song at all!). Its impact was not big enough to loose one channel for it.

Just use a 8-bit register (74LS373 or 74ls573) to enable or disable the channels.

Looked at your schematic... you have done that :-P

-Jonas

Thank you very much!

i have found an early version of my ALF-player.

it's programmed in C and may help you interpreting the files..

Talking of software, ALF code won't work: different processor, distinct architecture.

This is what I used:

I though so.

maybe you can use the ALF sound-files. They are pretty "generic" and are a bit like early midi-files. they use a completely different semantic though. I had programmed a somewhat working interpreter on a PSOC MCU once to interface a Yamaha sound chip.

The nice thing about the music files for the MC16 and MC1 sound cards are that everything is very much usable on any synthesiser system. The complete description of the format is in the MC1 manual.

http://www.applelogic.org/file…0MC16%20Manual%201983.pdf

page 104 .. page 112

You would have to extract the song-files from the apple II disks but there are a LOT of songs there.

Most of them are for more than 3 voices, though. I have a sorted folder with the songs files somewhere... I can upload a zip when I find them.

-Jonas

First successful test: https://youtu.be/wg34Kmr1SPU

First test with all three channels wired: https://youtu.be/X9GiK0UUjbk

Nice!

I can remember when I first got signals out of my 'ALF MC16'-like circuit. It did not have the volume control connected to the frequency generators and I could only see the waveshapes on an oscilloscope. It was like magic to see the frequencies change and have the volume levels dance around at the same time. I had the advantage to have the ALF MC16 software to test the circuit.

The first audible sound came later, but this moment to see the system work in principle with only 5 chips... magic.

btw: there was a Russian sound card for a Russian 8088 based computer Apple II clone that used 8253 PIT for audio generation as well (can't find the link on the web at the moment). It had pretty nice sound... the rectangle wave output was heavily modified by an analog circuit with limited computer control. It has a very organic sound as the waveform changes a bit with volume (normally not wanted).

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyzk-iZwCPE

... and a site with a few schematics to the card:

http://agatcomp.ru/Reading/jzs52.shtml

-Jonas

Mmmmhhh leider will das Accelerator Board nicht so richtig... ::cry::

Das DIAG Programm schlägt fehl als auch der Aufruf UP.EXE, welcher das Board starten soll... jetzt muß ich mal schuen was das sein könnte. Der 80287 CO Prozessor wird jedenfalls sehr warm... dem spendier ich mal einen Kühlkörper, den nehme ich aber zunächst runter.

Dann werde ich mich wohl mit dem RAM auseinander setzen müssen... sehr viele unterschiedliche Hersteller... unter anderem auch uT oder MT die ja wohl bei Commodore auch häufig eingesetzt wurden und da wohl als eine häufige Fehlerursache herhalten.

Ich hatte auch so meine Probleme mit dem Elevator. Den Ram hatte ich damals auch im Blick aber keinen Ersatz. Prüf auf jeden Fall den 286er auf den korrekten Sitz denn eventuell ist der Kontakt zum Sockel nicht gut. An sich ist der PC-Elevator eine tolle Karte, da sie 2Mb Ram bietet. Es ist eingentlich ein richtiger Co-Prozessor.

Edit1:

Ach ja: http://retrocmp.de/hardware/pc…r-286/pc-elevator-286.htm

Der Taktquarz kann einer zwischen 12Mhz und 24Mhz sein (6Mhz-12Mhz).

Versuch mal einen mit 16Mhz (= 8Mhz CPU)

Edit2:

versuch mal die V3.5 der Software.

Edit3:

Die CPU sitzt eventuell falsch auf dem Board (die Ecke muss wohl nach unten links)...

-Jonas

Files

Bemerkenswertes Gerät! Ist der 65816 auch im FPGA enthalten oder ist der in SMD auf der Platine?

Die CPU ist in Silizium auf der Platine und ist aktuell 12Mhz schnell. Ebenso ist ein dedizierter Floppy-Controller vorhanden. Fast alles weitere ist im FPGA. Dieser ist mit 8000LE aber relativ klein. 1Mb Sram Hauptspeicher und 512Kb direkt adressiebarer Grafikspeicher sind über den FPGA angebunden. Alles ist auch DMA-fähig bzw. soll DMA-fähig werden. Es sollen ein paar Grafikfunktionen wie Blitter und Scrolling hinzu kommen. Das ist aber derzeit noch nicht implementiert. Leider sind noch nicht viele konkrete Informationen zu der aktuellen Hardware herausgegeben worden. Derzeit kann man nur per seriell-Terminal auf den Rechner zugreifen.

-Jonas

Ich habe auch mal was ;-)

Ein Neon816

Derzeit ist aber nur eine rudimentäre Forth-Implementierung vorhanden. Ein Betriebssystem gibt es noch nicht. Man kann jedoch bereits alle Hardwarekomponenten testen und rudimentär ansteuern. Das Gehäuse ist übrigens ein aktuell noch produziertes MicroATX/ITX/miniITX/FlexATX Gehäuse. Es ist sehr stabil mit überraschend dicken Blech.

-Jonas

Was ist das?

Hier steht auch was dazu... http://www.vcfed.org/forum/sho…perDrive-quot-add-on-Rare

Das war quasi DAS erste HDD Storagemedium für die ersten Mac 128k & 512k, welche von Haus aus nur Floppy intern kannten. Das Board wird direkt auf die CPU gesteckt und bietet einen SCSI Controller für Festplatten :D

Da habe ich was älteres :-)

Das wird an den seriellen Bus gesteckt und hat eine 5Mb HDD und ein 5Mb Wechsellaufwerk.

The first Hard drive for the Macintosh

-Jonas

The reason for the flipflop to half the tone frequency is most likely due to reduce analog interference with the tone signal. The flipflop produces a clean TTL signal that is directly fed into the analog circuit without beeng routed around the PCB. The tone signal line is therefore simply a TTL-signal and can be routed anywhere on the PCB without signal degradation until it reaches the flipflop. Pretty ingenious, I think.

Regarding the NEC: I don't really know. Maybe there are power restrictions or the NEC parts have higher current on the output.. or something? Normally this is only relevant at the date of manufacturing as special or especially reliable parts may be only available from certain manufacturers.

I have 2 CMU800 for the Apple II. They sound pretty nice. The circuit is a bit big but there are some nice designs that may be party reused in other projects. The AR circuit is interesting.

As you can see, I tried to improve the mood of the thread by including a humorous talk I had, but failed :wand:. I thought it could help but it was maybe a bad idea.

Nah, don't take it personally, just forget about it ;-)

Keep cool, everything is good.

-Jonas

Just for info:

The Roland CMU800 did use 2 PIT for tone-generation as well. The tones are seemingly generated at 2x the desired clock and then reduced by half (via flipflop) near the analog circuit of the individual tone. There is a rhythm generator in the schematic as well.