Speicher 5150 5160 5155

• Danke für einen Schubs auf das richtige Gleis, falls ich hier einen kompletten Denkfehler eingebaut habe...

Könnte ich bei IBM 51xx einfach alle RamChips ausbauen und den Rechner zu 100% mit einer ISA memory Karte - zB von monotech- betreiben?

Lieben Gruß

• Is something wrong with your on-board ram?

When I tried to list all retro systems I have at home, the "The message is too long, must be under 500 characters" error appears! :lol:

• Danke für einen Schubs auf das richtige Gleis, falls ich hier einen kompletten Denkfehler eingebaut habe...

Könnte ich bei IBM 51xx einfach alle RamChips ausbauen und den Rechner zu 100% mit einer ISA memory Karte - zB von monotech- betreiben?

Nein, da die Adreßdekodierung ja weiter für das Onboard-RAM vorhanden ist. Wenn du nur dir ICs rauszupft, liest er halt lauter Einsen (oder Nullen?) in dem Bereich. Und wenn du parallel eine ISA-Karte in diesen Bereich legst, gibt es Adreßkollisionen.

• Danke. Schade.

Notiz an mich selber:

Lesen. Denken. Nochmal denken. Fragen stellen.

Bin leider völlig raus aus dieser Welt mittlerweile

"This will work in most 8088 PCs, but there may be a small number that it isn't compatible with.

Many motherboards will require you to fill their onboard RAM sockets before using a card like this."

• Is something wrong with your on-board ram?

why mess around to find out, if you can just replace with an ISA. Could. Or event cannot

Both Toast_r and lgp30 maybe right and wrong at the same time for this is Schrödinger's memory: only when you look at the schematics one or the other will be right.

You see, if the memory is built directly in the data bus of the processor without buffering, then you can follow Toast_r 's advice. Otherwise, if there is a buffer, the point goes to lgp30.

If the board is original, and without watching the schematics, considering it would be IBM I bet there is the buffer/transceiver. Only by examining the foresaid document you could determine if the component is completely unused after removing the ram. If that's the case, by retiring the buffers/transceivers you may have a chance. Otherwise you shall populate it before using the board.

I hope it helps

When I tried to list all retro systems I have at home, the "The message is too long, must be under 500 characters" error appears! :lol: