Alphatronic P2 working after memory card repair

• Hello!

I recently got hold of this Triumph Adler Alphatronic P2 stored in my parents cellar for over thirty years. I remember learning some BASIC and even playing an ASCII driving game with it as a child.

[Blockierte Grafik: https://imgur.com/a/lw9DRn4]

It powered up immediately but there was nothing on the screen. I have no previous experience with vintage computers, or computers of any kind, just some basic knowledge about electronics. Lurked here a while and started troubleshooting by checking voltages on the motherboard. There was no +12V present. Started to remove cards one by one and after removing the CAAC01 memory card I got the beep and this text on the screen on the startup:

RESET 4001 4000

MOS-3-033.42C.14F

$1976 4010 40EF

So memory seemed to be the problem. I pulled out all the blue 10uf 16V caps from it. One was dead (unfortunately I'm not sure which one). Replaced them all with new 10uf 25V caps and now the machine is working with all of the cards installed and I get this text on the screen:

RESET 4001 4000

MOS-3-033.42C.14F

$1976 4010 FFEF

I suppose the memory is working now?

I don't know if the floppy drives are working because I don't have any disks to test them.

But I'm very happy that is working now. I couldn't have done it without this forum so I thought to drop by just to say thank you!

• Hello HansTA ;

I'm happy to see you here with an alphatronic P2 from Helsinki.

You have already solved the first step with the memory problem.

MOS-3-033.42C.14F

$1976 4010 FFEF

The MOS screen display is very good - and apparently in the basic state with the 48 kB memory display

Unfortunately I have an extensive WEB collection for the P2 / or sks KISS machine with a lot of background information. But mostly in German. I think with a translator all the help will be useful.

ok - can you see a TA nameplate on the back of your P2?

• You're collection is gold! This is the nameplate I suppose?

• Hello HansTA ,

Thank you, ok you have an alphaTronic P2.

Then, as known, you should have a memory of 48 kB (from 4000h to 0FFFFh) and two BASF (6106 type) floppy drives are installed from your first link.

These are probably drives with a single-sided read / write head for floppy disks (DD / SS)

Double density (DD) and one side (SS).

I could help you relatively easily to HELP yourself - to test the floppy drives and then to bring further software - like BASIC interpreter and / or a full 48 kB cp / m to the P2. All you need at home, just a few things:

a) Floppy disks possibly 2 to 4 too free used

But you will have some 5 1/4 inches (DD 7 SS, or DD / DS) at home. No matter what is / was on it.

b)

I think you have a PC with an Internet connection, so you are in the FORUM - already good.

Your PC e.g. under Windows it would be easy with a V24 (RSC 232) interface. If not, you surely have a free USB on the PC.

There is a small USB to V24 in stores for a few euros.

c) so another V24 null modem (a cross cable)

So from the PC to your P2.

If you can find something - you can start. I have two ways - to first format a floppy disk on the P2.

If you have this small equipment.

Please have a look at the following links - or have you already found and read this !?

The first way ist simple hier.

The MOS in the EPROM is a powerful tool. Unfortunately I only have one German document here. The simple commands are based on the English one.

See you later - maybe you have already rummaged through my WEB collection?

• Thank you for the info! I've glanced through your collection but I have to take a better look when I have more time. I will surely try to write some disks. I will buy the V24 adapter first. Also will take a deeper look at the MOS. Will report back when I proceed.

• Ok HansTA , exactly the first piece.

Is there a SIGNAL plan of how the 9-pin connection with the V24 signal designation is implemented?

So USB to V24 signals (here with 9-pin socket!).

Du erkennen ja von 9 poligen Anschluss muss noch ein passendes kurzes

V24 - V24 Kabel zu den 25 poligem V24 Anschuss an die P2 vorhanden sein.

Now you still need a V24 cable piece (not long) but from 9-pin (with pins) to 25-pin connection (with pins) to the alphaTronic P2. The P2 V24 is as socket.

I look again closely at the signal routing to see if it already contains a null modem cable function or other? !!!

• Hello HansTA ;

I once showed my USB to V24 (RC 232C) stick here, which I then use from my laptop (USB) to my P2 / P2U.

To do this, I have a signal routing from my short cable that goes to the 9 female connector and then to a standard 25-pin connector.

I hope you are not confused with all the information.

There are two 25-pin sockets on the back (P2). On the far left is the connection for a V24 printer connection.

Next to it is exactly the 25-pin connection to later transfer small binary program pieces from the PC to the memory of the alphatronic P2 with the CODE1. And "do something" later, following simple instructions.

If you already had some time, have you tried something with the simplest MOS commands?

Greetings and good luck.

helwie44 †