SuperSoft HRx - Versuch eines Neubaus

• Ok. No changes, really.

100k + capacitor

100k without capacitor

Screen stays green, after SYS59650,5 I get:

I think compare the original will be the best way. :(

• It’s weird how the lines are horizontal not vertical and the boot screen is as if the character rom is not plugged in

Yes… normal screen only works with POKE35000,4. SYS59650,1 brings back green screen with black cursor and SYS59650,5 brings the horizontal lines. :(

• Unfortunately not. Already chatted with CBM_Ba and i hope that the next week with all the easter vacation of work mates going on will give me some time to dig through everything. Last days i really could only skimp over your messages whith all the easter stuff going on. No mental capacity atm xD

• Below is a 4k version of the character ROM - essentially the contents doubled. I wonder if when this is put into a 2532 eprom you get the correct screen on boot. If not then the HR40 is disabling the CR on startup for some reason. I think we may have a subtle issue with the board if so...

I do not have the schematics for that board ... but will try comparing with original around the character rom area.

supersofthr40cr.bin.zip

• Hi AndyG

There is only one difference at startup before the green screen appears:

2532 with 4k data:

2716 with 2k data:

The rest behaves like before. :(

By the way: I found out that POKE 35000,4 seems to be the same as SYS 59650,4 (1..2..3..5).

• Werte Mithelfer dieses grafischen Problemfalles!

Heute kamen endlich gute 6116 RAMs hier an. Und was soll ich sagen: Immerhin gibt es eine TEILFUNKTION!

Ich kann den RAM sehen, Werte drin ändern und sogar ZEICHNEN!

Startup: Nach wie vor grüner Bildschirm mit schwarz blinkendem Cursor

Will ich zeichnen, muss ich erst den Bildschirm Richtung LESBAR bekommen. Dies geht mit SYS 59650,5.

Dann kann ich die sich bildenden, verstreuten Pixel mit 59650,C löschen und erhalte einen kristallklaren Bildschirm.

Mit SYS 59650, SL, 0,0,319,199 sollte ich eine Linie von links unten nach rechts oben bekommen- aber leider hat es die Karte nicht so mit dem korrekten Nullpunkt. Dieser scheint aber leicht rechtsseitig von der MITTE des Bildschirms zu beginnen, so dass sich ZWEI Linien auf den Bildschirm zaubern, wenn man den oben genannten SYS Befehl reinzwirbelt:

Lasse ich vertikale Linien zeichnen, passieren ebenfalls sehr wirre Dinge:

- Grafik beginnt wieder fast in der Mitte des Bildschirms (nicht links)

- Bei einem X-Wert von 56 "vermalt" sich der Rechner und es entstehen links gestrichelte Linien

Dies hält bis zum X-Wert von 65 an, danach kommt keine neue Linie mehr links

- Trotz dieser Anomalie mit den gestrichelten Linien werden die normalen Linien rechts brav gezeichnet (die gestrichelten sind also ZUSÄTZLICH auf dem Schirm zu sehen)

- Bei X=176 beginnt die Linie dann ganz links auf dem Bildschirm (da, wo eigentlich 0 wäre) und stoppt erst bei X=319, so dass der komplette Schirm gefüllt ist (allerdings sind die Linien ab 176 LÄNGER, sie beginnen weiter UNTEN am Schirm)

Gepunktete Linien funktionieren auch, allerdings sind da manchmal "Löcher" drin, es werden also nicht immer alle Punkte sauber gesetzt.

Auch klappt das Löschen des Bildschirminhaltes jedesmal einwandfrei.

Ich hänge ein paar Bilder an.

Meiner Meinung nach kann ich jetzt zeichnen, weil die RAM-Bausteine defekt waren. Dies schrieb ich auch weiter oben schon mal, da die ersten 6116er Bausteine aus der ehemaligen DDR waren und schon in der Data Becker nicht richtig funktionierten (auch, wenn der Chiptester ok sagte).

Alles andere ist noch suspekt... der Beginn der Zeichenfläche fast in der Mitte des Schirms, die Einschaltsituation mit grünem Schirm, etc.

Startroutine laut Handbuch nach der Installation der Karte- noch VOR dem Druck auf RETURN:

Druck auf Return- Bildschirm sauber gelöscht, alles gut:

Linienbefehl von links unten nach rechts oben- klappt nicht so ganz, es werden zwei Linien, beginnend in der Mitte des Schirms, statt ganz links:

Testprogramm zur Erzeugung der vertikalen Linien:

Ab X=56 kommen die Grafikfehler (nicht wundern, ich habe bei diesen Screenshots nicht bei X=0 begonnen, sondern bei X=50, sonst dauert es so lange):

Bis X=65 wird es mehr, danach geht es normal weiter:

So sieht ein ganz gefüllter Schirm, beginnend bei X=0 bis X=199 aus:

Und hier noch: Gebe ich direkt nach dem Start des Rechners SYS 59650,5 ein, so erhalte ich jetzt keine horizontalen Linien mehr, sondern diesen Schirm:

ZU HILF, werte Grafiker!

Frohes Fest,

euer van Gogh

• the two line plot is likely an addressing issue - need to check the addressing lines to the 2114 chip. I have seen this before with the HR40b card in the past .... I will check the original against clone when get a moment. Sorry for being slow but maxed out with work.

• the two line plot is likely an addressing issue - need to check the addressing lines to the 2114 chip. I have seen this before with the HR40b card in the past .... I will check the original against clone when get a moment. Sorry for being slow but maxed out with work.

Thanks, Andy!

I think, the best way to clarify the problems would be the comparison between original and clone- as you mentioned.

I will check the connection between 2114 and HR40 again- but it should be fine, as I tested it a few times now. And there is still the remaining problem with green startup screen.

Maybe one (ore more) trace(s) goes to a different location on the HR40 pcb?

We will find out if you compare 1:1- lucky you with original board! :D

Best regards and thank you!

Matthias

• Matthias,

Can you confirm what the startup screen on the pet looks like ? Is it inverted or standard ?

Also check the wiring around the 2114 ram chip as per the photos ...

If there is a fault on the board I need to start somewhere in comparing with the original and all tests so far have shown no differences

Cheers

Andy

• AndyG

The startup screen ist green with black blinking cursor, no text. (No matter what I plug or unplug, when removing the card and going back to stock everything is fine)

Also I can confirm the RAM Adapter pinout (as measured and posted a few weeks back.

Crazy, what could it be?

But hey: Our HR40B build also doesn't work. No drawing possible and vertical lines all over the screen. :D

SuperSoft HR? I think, these cards HATE Richi and me.

• The hr40b works on my end ..... so does the hr80

Wondering if I should build up the hr-40 and see what happens. What edit rom did you use for the HR40b ? This is confusing to say the least as why would it work on my end and not your end ?

• The hr40b works on my end ..... so does the hr80

Yes, I know... That's why we thought: Easy going! :D

But.... NOPE. :(

Richi will give us update on the HR40B, since he has the card at home.

My problem with the HR40 still is wrecking my nerves. :(

• Are you guys using a German version of the edit rom or something like that ?

I also noted some changes to resistors and capacitor .. where they communicated to you?

• For the HR40b you initiliaze with 59650,5 which gives vertical lines and then 59650,c to clear the screen

Yes, we did that... chaos on the screen after clearing. No readable things, only pixelchaos. :D

Are you guys using a German version of the edit rom or something like that ?

I also noted some changes to resistors and capacitor .. where they communicated to you?

Nope, US-version. ;)

We used exactly the values from the BOM ( zitruskeks )

Needed to check my sanity

GNGNGNGNGNGNGN?!?! :weinen: :weinen: :weinen:

• One thing I remembered with the HR40b … there are a few different versions of the fat-40 universal board ….. some do not take kindly to EPROMs as character roms … they can offset the character count on the screen so the previous line ends with R of ready for example.

I know the boards that have the metal shield box over the piezo work just fine. If the board is a univ 1 version it could have the issue with EPROMs as character roms… pretty obvious when you boot up.

If you have lots of vertical lines then make sure the board is pushed in all the way around the character rom and the piggy back socket is correctly mounted over the crtc chip … also the cable isn’t shorting on other pins in that socket.

Andy