Troubleshooting TA P2 48K RAM Board

• Hallo zusammen :)

after some good time letting it rest I tried to start again my Alphatronic and unfortunately got the following message from MOS boot:

Seems that the 48K RAM is defective since TOPRAM is detected as 40FF.

Even if there are alternatives to build a 48K or 64K board even simpler than the original design by using SRAM, my first idea would be to try to fix the defective board. The problem is that with the backplane design is quite difficcult and even risky to measure on the board pins directly. So first I will share here my observations and lets see if with your help and experience we can find out what the problem may be.

My first question is how does MOS figure out what is the size of the RAM. I guess it probably tries to write/read on the different addresses until the values written and read differ?

I tried to experiment a bit with the MOS commands to fill and display memory. I got surprised by the fact MOS allows me to fill memory from C000 onwards (I guess this belongs to the 16K memory board) and seems to work okey:

But trying to write to lower positions (the ones in the failed card) returns an error (maybe MOS tries to read the value back and reports error if it doesn't match?). On the other side, trying to display memory in the 4000-BFFF range provides a pattern that seems interesting at least:

As you can see the reported values are normally equal to the 8 lower bits of the address. I don't know if this can be related to the electronic design of the board or to some pattern MOS uses to check the RAM but seems to happen also on C000 if I remove the 16K board. It's also noticeable how not always the value is the expected one but some bits are changed (normally the lsb).

Another thing I was wondering: does the 16K board needs the memory controller in the 48K one to function? Or is it completely autonomous: I've seen there is a good deal of logic chips on the 16K board (besides the RAM chips themselves) but I didn't see any way to generate the -5V on that board, so my guess is that the 48K board provides it to the backplane and the 16K board uses it from there, makes sense?

Regarding other checks, I soldered cables to the regulator that generates -5V from -12V on the 48k memory board and seems to provide -5V properly. All voltage lines are properly connected to all the RAM chips and after having the board working for a while I didn't notice any chip that was particularly hot. On the contrary, only one column of RAM chips seem to get a bit warm whereas the others are quite cold.

I also tried to switch the 48K and 16K to see if there was any problem in one of the backplane slots, but the result is the same. I checked that all the voltages are reaching both backplane slots properly.

I'm open to any ideas, reports from similar behaviors and of course feedback about what I've written here, what probably can be wrong. :)

Viele Grüße,

Manuel

• Hello overCLK,

I am assuming that with your alphaTronic P2S or P2U you are using the 48 kB RAM card and also a 16 kB RAM card.

At TA there were various memory cards available for the P2 alpahTronic.

Power ON:

After POWER ON, the CPU card (addresses: 0000h to 1BFFh on the BUS) and the display card (addresses 3000h to 3FFFh on the BUS) must be available!

Are 64 kB memory equipped:

Therefore, in the basic state, the 16 kB low memory area (RAM MEMORY 0000h - 3FFFh) must be switched off from the AddressBUS.

This is a hardreset funktion!!!

a) MOS cold start, determine RAM memory size:

In the MOS, from 4000h onwards, only one RAM cell is tested every 100h step and then moved to the end memory.

So the first test point is at 40FFh, 41FFh, +++++.

It is written to test point 55h and AAH and read out.

If an error is detected, the loop terminates with the last address.

An error has already occurred here 40FF with you.

Most of the time, however, a component on a memory card is somewhat defective (often capacitors ??)!

What do your RAM cards look like (photo)?

I'll take a look at everything afterwards.

I would just leave the 16 kB card - the one from C000h to FFFFh in the horizontal bar and take the 46 kB out. Then test with POWER ON.

The display may appear with an error at 40FFh. But with the MOS check the memory card with the MOS as you did with F ill and D ump.

Many greetings

Helmut

• Noch ein Nachtrag;

gpospi und jlopez und du overCLK - da war doch schon eine Baustelle erfolgreich bearbeitet gewesen.

• I can summarize my experiences:

• My first Alphatronic computer was a model P2 with 48K RAM card. Unfortunately it did not work at all when switching it on. I replaced the PSU, but still nothing. Finally I noticed that the RAM card was broken and created a power short, i.e. the computer turned on and showed the MOS message when the RAM card was removed. Consequently I tried to trace down the location of the problem on the RAM card, finally I identified one capacitor that created the issue. I did this with a "brute force" analysis, i.e. just checking resistance with a multimeter (without desoldering the capacitors). After removing the capacitor, the RAM card (and the whole computer) worked. Unfortunately it seems that @overCLK's problem is a bit more difficult and I would assume that either an address decoder or a RAM chip is broken.
    • I also had issues with a P3, which suddenly stopped working (it did not boot anymore and just showed the flashing "RESET" message). Here we also suspected some RAM-related issues and tried to understand the RAM addressing logic. We investigated the switching from 48K+ROM mode into 64K RAM mode and tried to understand differences between P2-48K, P2-64K and P3-64K configurations. Unfortunately we did not complete these analysis successfully, hence these experiments do not provide additional insights into the issue of @overCLK's P2.
    • Generic findings on memory boards for P2: I have one P2 with a 48K memory board and a second P2 with 3*16K memory boards. Hence I can confirm that the 16K boards work independently from 48K boards. However as mentioned above, I don't know if this is also true for the P2-64K setup. Usually there is this "adapter board" that is attached to the 48K board, allowing to "shift" the addressing (see http://www.wiertalla.de/pdf/Booten_Alphatronic_P2_cpm.pdf). Maybe in you case, this adapter board is now broken and you can try just the 48K RAM board in the machine (without adapter and extra 16K board).

• Hey Helmut!

Yes, my Alphatronic is equipped with 48K and 16K memory boards. See photo below:

I changed some of the capacitors (but only the shorted tantalum ones), the other ones seems to be good. I checked all the voltage lines and didn't detect any shorts. I have:

- Around 300 Ohm between -5V and GND

- Around 1K8 Ohm between 12V and GND

- Around 5K4 Ohm between 5V and GND

Trying with only the 16K inserted and the 48K removed I get errors trying to write (F) to any location with MOS. Now I get the pattern with the value = low address byte in both places:

Is it expected that MOS returns an error when trying to fill (F) some of the defective positions? Maybe there is a check of what was written made automatically by MOS?

What is also curious is that now without the 48K card in, the values are consistent with the addres low byte. With the 48K card in, sometimes there are glitches with some bits.

I don't know how the memory layout would be in this case (only 16K card in), but is it reasonable to think that the 16K card gets shadowed in the 0000-4000 area and therefore not accessible at all from MOS after hard reset?

I have the feeling the problem is in the 48K card :)

Best regards

Manuel

• OMG. Das hatte ich komplett vergessen!

Auch auf das Problem mit FFFF statt FFEF als TOPRAM mit meiner Rechner erinnere ich nicht. :)

Konnte es sein, dass mein P2 einen verschiedenen MOS Version hat?

Auf jeden Fall haben wir jetzt ein anderes Problem :)

Viele Grüße,

Manuel

• I can summarize my experiences:

• My first Alphatronic computer was a model P2 with 48K RAM card. Unfortunately it did not work at all when switching it on. I replaced the PSU, but still nothing. Finally I noticed that the RAM card was broken and created a power short, i.e. the computer turned on and showed the MOS message when the RAM card was removed. Consequently I tried to trace down the location of the problem on the RAM card, finally I identified one capacitor that created the issue. I did this with a "brute force" analysis, i.e. just checking resistance with a multimeter (without desoldering the capacitors). After removing the capacitor, the RAM card (and the whole computer) worked. Unfortunately it seems that @overCLK's problem is a bit more difficult and I would assume that either an address decoder or a RAM chip is broken.
    • I also had issues with a P3, which suddenly stopped working (it did not boot anymore and just showed the flashing "RESET" message). Here we also suspected some RAM-related issues and tried to understand the RAM addressing logic. We investigated the switching from 48K+ROM mode into 64K RAM mode and tried to understand differences between P2-48K, P2-64K and P3-64K configurations. Unfortunately we did not complete these analysis successfully, hence these experiments do not provide additional insights into the issue of @overCLK's P2.
    • Generic findings on memory boards for P2: I have one P2 with a 48K memory board and a second P2 with 3*16K memory boards. Hence I can confirm that the 16K boards work independently from 48K boards. However as mentioned above, I don't know if this is also true for the P2-64K setup. Usually there is this "adapter board" that is attached to the 48K board, allowing to "shift" the addressing (see http://www.wiertalla.de/pdf/Booten_Alphatronic_P2_cpm.pdf). Maybe in you case, this adapter board is now broken and you can try just the 48K RAM board in the machine (without adapter and extra 16K board).

Thanks a lot for your feedback gpospi. Did you remember if you had issues with the non tantalum capacitors too (the blue ceramic -I guess- ones)?

Regarding the memory cards being independent, seems you are right. I've seen that the 16K card generates the -5V with a simple resistor acting as voltage divider. I'm starting to suspect that either the memory controller (D8202A), buffers or latches in the card could be the problem and not the memory itself. The values displayed with D in MOS are very suspicious, but I'm not able to figure out yet what could produce such effect.

Best regards,

Manuel

• Hallo overCLK ;

From your new test, both RAM cards are apparently not accessible to the address with mem-read / write for the CPU?

Do a little TEST below:

a) both RAM CARDS out;

Then with the MOS times the CPU RAM with D ump e.g. from (range: 1800h to 1BFFh) but only test read first.

b) with the RAM cards (both, only 48k, only 16K)

Then try the dump in the address area of the MOS RAM. In addition, you could also test the EPROM partially with DUMP - whether the low address is always displayed there as the content during a DUMP.

Helmut

• Good idea to start testing the RAM embedded on the CPU card.

I did experience issues with two "blue capacitors" in my computers. One was on the memory card, the other one on the floppy controller (capacitor next to the controller chips, issue occurred on two boards). Do you have the floppy controller board still in your computer when testing? I would remove it, just to be on the safe side (in my P3 the "memory issues" seem to be caused by floppy controller board problems actually).

• YES, the RAM is normal - from address 4000h to FFFFh of the MOS every memory location - as far as I remember,

a) written with 55h then read out and then compared

b) written and read with AAh and compares.

If everything went through ok - the memory is left with the pattern AAh.

Therefore it takes a little while for the buzzer to emit an acoustic SIGNAL from the keyboard.

However, this sequence is activated after a COLD START - after power ON.

• Auch auf das Problem mit FFFF statt FFEF als TOPRAM mit meiner Rechner erinnere ich nicht. :)

Konnte es sein, dass mein P2 einen verschiedenen MOS Version hat?

Das mit den unterschiedlichen MOS-Versionen sollte eigentlich nichts mit den Speicherfehlern zusammen sein.

Die END-RAM ANZEIGE ist nur von der Überarbeitung von TA auf bei dir ( und netmercer ) sind ja nur zwei EPROMs abgelegt.

Sonst wurde ja früher genau deine P2 und auch deine verfügbare cp/m Disketten gebootet.

Helmut

• Seems the other memory areas are not affected, regardless of the RAM cards inserted or not. This is what I get in the 1800H area:

In the 3000H area I can write and then the value is displayed accordingly:

I've tested that with memory cards inserted and removed.

• Good idea to start testing the RAM embedded on the CPU card.

I did experience issues with two "blue capacitors" in my computers. One was on the memory card, the other one on the floppy controller (capacitor next to the controller chips, issue occurred on two boards). Do you have the floppy controller board still in your computer when testing? I would remove it, just to be on the safe side (in my P3 the "memory issues" seem to be caused by floppy controller board problems actually).

I've tried also with the floppy controller card removed and same results

• Hallo overCLK -

nun sitze ich neben meiner P2U und mit einem WIN10 Laptop,die anderen Meldungen habe ich doch etwas umständlich mit meinem iPAD /bearbeitet/ benutzte.

Ich habe mal in den sehr hilfreichen Thread von dir vor zwei Jahren geblättert.

Es ist geschichte-eines-alphatronic-p2-der-eine-reparatur-oder-mehr-versucht

Es ging ja damals mit dem 48 kB dynamic RAM.

• Aus den Ergebnissen und das Foto der beiden Speicherkarten sind deine 48 kB RAM-Karte (wenn alles ok wäre) der Speicher!
    • damals zeigte deine ANZEIGE: $1976 4010 BFFF; also würde der TEIL von 16 kB (0000h-3FFFH) im Grundzustand ausgeblendet wird. Es verbleiben nur noch 32 kB, wie angezeigt.
    • die 16 kB RAM TA Karte - müsste von C000h - FFFFh in diesem Adressenraum liegen ( immer wenn alles ok wäre)

Aber die nun gezeigten Fehler sehen so aus - als ob die beiden RAM KARTEN gar nicht über den BUS für die CPU zu erreichen wäre?

Bei meiner alphaTronic P2U - ohne RAM- Karten im Rechner.

Genau die RESET anzeige nach dem POWER ON !!!

Und die mit dem MOS die D umps!!!

Manuel - du hast sicher keine P2 anderweitige RAM Karte - zum Vergleich, oder?

Nachfrage:

Ich sehe eigentlich keine -5 Volt auf dem Backplane und nur über die VGL Stecker (96 polig) die +5 Volt. +12 Volt und -12 Volt. Wenn die TMS EPROMs -5 Volt brauchen wird das so, ich mich erinnere mich per einer Z-Diode oder ähnlich aus der -12 Volt auf einer Karte erzeugt.

Das könnte sicher nicht gleichzeitig bei beiden RAM Karten einen Systemausfall sein, aber was und wo?

Grüße Helmut

• I think that this is all about the RAM card not being enabled when the address is in the range 4000H-BFFFH. I don't know exactly how this works but I understand that the right board must be enabled on read attempts and my feeling is that this logic is failing somehow:

So far I have traced the activation path of the output latches for the 48K card (P8283) and came to this:

the final output is the /OE pin of the output latches of the RAM card. I've been patiently soldering cables on all this path trying to pinpoint anything wrong, but even when I thought the NOR Gate (7402) could be defective, after desoldering it and tested it, it seemed to be okey.

Anyways, I'm seeing very few activations of the output latches with the oscilloscope. I would expect one activation for each memory read taking place on the card, but it seems there are certainly less than those.

I will keep reading and trying to understand how the 48K card is really activated, but I'm starting to think the failure could be even outside of the RAM card. Let´s see.

• Hallo Helmut,

einverstanden. Ich glaube auch, dass irgendwie die RAM Karte nich aktiviert ist.

Leider habe ich keine andere RAM Karte um zu vergleichen.

Um die -5V Spannung zu generieren glaube ich, dass die 48K Karte ein "regulator" nutzt:

da gehen -12V ein und -5V aus.

Ich glaube dass die 16K Karte ein Spannunsteiler nutzt, einfach ein Widerstand auf die -12V Spannung.

• Hallo overCLK ;

Ich werde noch mal die TA2 soweit vorhandenen technische Unterlagen durchsehen. Leider habe ich mich nicht um sks/TA HArdwarepläne gekümmert.

Aber ich meine schon irgenwo in der A Reihe bei dem 96 poligen Plan ein " MOSEN" gesehen. Bei HELL dem DS2069 ( aber alle Schaltpläne bei mir!!) Bedeute das "MOSEN" als "MOS ENABLE". Ob das bei TA verwendet wird ist mir unbekannt. Wenn ich was habe melde ich mich damit.

Vorher hast du ja genau gesagt, dass bei den KARTEN im Betrieb fast nichts zum messen möglich ist.

Ich selbst habe eine ca 150 mm lange PRINTKARTE 1:1 mit zwei passende 96 polige Stecker / Buchse. Ich mache mal ein Foto, evtl ist sowas leicht selber zu machen. Leider hilft dir im Moment - schade nicht.

• 96 VGL 1:1 BUS Verlängerungskarte

Eine praktische Zwischenkarte um im Betrieb beide Kartenseite zu prüfen. Somit sicher und einfach schnell mit Meßspitzen oder Microclips an Bauteilebeinchen zu fixieren.

Meßobjekt der Bauteilseite

Beispiele: Übersicht zur Messungen

Microclips bei Bauteilen zu sehen

Vor vielen…. vielen Jahren habe ich mir eine fertige Zwischenkarte (gekauft, Preis und woher jetzt mir unbekannt). Oben sind je BUS-Linie mit kleinen Steckbrücken zu erkennen. Super um mit kleinen Steckkabelchen SIGNALE um zustecken und Strommessungen.

• Hallo Helmut.

Die Zwischenkarte ist aber ja eine prima Lösung um sicher mit dem Backplane Aufbau zu messen. Damit kann man schneller prüfen. Danke für die Fotos. :)

Ich hatte zurzeit nicht mehr Zeit um meine Untersuchen weiterzugehen. Im moment glaube ich, dass vielleicht die 8202 Speichertreiber fehlerhaft ist. XACK (pol 29) musste bei jeder Speicherlesung aktiviert bekommen, was sehen nicht zur Verfügung aus. Wenn ich mehr Zeit habe, gehe ich weiter mit meinen Tests. Ich brauche auch mehr über die 8202 lesen :)

• Hallo Manuel,

dass vielleicht die 8202 Speichertreiber fehlerhaft ist

ok - das könnte mit dem Bauteil (IC) das Problem sein.

Ich würde mal einfach das SIGNAL mit dem Scope zu messen. Ist das BUSSIGNAL PIN 29 aus der A Reihe ( also 1..32 Zählung). Das Datenblatt vom 8202 suche ich im WEB. Ist da nur ein 8202 Baustein auf einer Baukarte? Sonst schaue ich gleich mal an meine P2U.

• Hallo Manuel,

dass vielleicht die 8202 Speichertreiber fehlerhaft ist

ok - das könnte mit dem Bauteil (IC) das Problem sein.

Ich würde mal einfach das SIGNAL mit dem Scope zu messen. Ist das BUSSIGNAL PIN 29 aus der A Reihe ( also 1..32 Zählung). Das Datenblatt vom 8202 suche ich im WEB. Ist da nur ein 8202 Baustein auf einer Baukarte? Sonst schaue ich gleich mal an meine P2U.

Hallo Helmut.

Das wäre schön zu haben.

Ich meinte pin 29 der 8202, das ist XACK:

Das ist mit andere Signale benutzt, um die SpeichernKarteAusgänge zu aktivieren. XACK ist auch an BUS 89 PIN verfügbar, wenn ich es richtig gemessen habe:

108650-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Ich vermute ich bekomme nicht genug Freischaltungen der Signal XACK, aber ich bin nicht sicher: Jeder /MEMR musste ein XACK haben.

Vielleicht kannst Du prüfen, wie ist XACK wenn keine Speicherlesung gibt. Und auch was passieren, wenn man ein D4000,4000 Kommand von MOS ausführt.

• Das XACK ist doch kein direktes BUS-Signal.

Für den Intel 8202 (A) ist : Intel 8202 Dynamic RAM Controller Datasheet.

Ich habe einige technische DATEN zum alphaTronic P2 des 48 kB Speicher. Oder evtl. hast du diese oder ähnliche P2 aus dem TA P2 Systemhandbuch?

Dort sind aber meist nur systematische Überblick - Funktionsbilder.

Aus TA P2 Dokumenen für Italien. Damals von Piero bekommen (thanks to from Piero, Italy) !

• ok - das SIGNAL habe ich gefunden, ich komme aber erst am Nachmittag alles mal probieren und die Messungen zeigen.

Vielleicht kannst Du prüfen, wie ist XACK wenn keine Speicherlesung gibt. Und auch was passieren, wenn man ein D4000,4000 Kommand von MOS ausführt.

Bis dann ...

Gruß Helmut

• Der Testaufbau meiner P2:

Nur die TA 48 kB Karte eingesteckt -

CH1 ist an PIN 29 vom Intel 8202 das ist ein OUT Signal aus dem Datenblatt zu sehen.

Genau wie du es eigentlich sein soll - bei mir CH1 2 V Scala und Zeitbasis 1 uS PIN 29.

Bei dem MOS Dump mit D4000,A000(cr) fällt das XACK/ genau um vom MOS ein dyn. RAM geholt wird. Die Anzeige wird ja vom MOS verarbeitet bis zur ANZEIGE bleibt ja das XACK/ genau hoch!!!

Nur zum spielen habe ich mal CH2 an den PIN 30 angelegt. (SACK/ noch unklar bei mir).

Mein Testaufbau belasse ich mal zunächst:

Welche Signale möchtest du mal noch sehen?

Genau mit dem MOS jetzt:

Genau ein STROBE XACK/ (mit dem / bedeutet hier NICHT) mit dem MOS D4000,4000(cr)

Nun habe ich mal ein TA 4300h cp/m gestartet und das SIGNAL gefunden.

Das cp/m ohne BANKING loops ja oben im dyn RAM in einer kleiner Sequenz. Das könnten 6 XACK/ Signale. Dann werden ja die TASTATUR abgefragt und dann weiter im LOOP - weil ja nichts an der TASTATUR ansteht.

Schau das mal an.

Ist der 16 kB RAM bei dir ein statischer Speicher?

Ist denn deine 16 kB nur im Rechner ? Wie war es mit dem MOS mit F ill, D ump,++?

• Klasse Helmut!

Es wäre schön, wenn du mir den Signal PCS (IN Signal in P8202 PIN 33) anzeigen könntest. Ich glaube, dass PCS gebraucht ist, um das lesen/Schreiben cyclus zu anfangen.

In meinen 48K RAMKarte ist PCS verbunden mit 7406 pin 4 (Open Collector Inverter). Eingangpin ist pin 3, was mit Backplane PIN 75 (Dritte Reihe, pin 11.) verbunden ist. Aber ich weiss solange nicht mehr.

Ich glaube PCS muss aktivieren werden, wenn ein RAM zugriff ausführen ist.

Antworten zu deinen Fragen:

- Mein 16K RAMKarte is DRAM.

- Die 16K RAMKarte funktioniert richtig. MOS Befehle D/F in C000-FFFF können lesen und schreiben richtig.

• Antworten zu deinen Fragen:

- Mein 16K RAMKarte is DRAM.

- Die 16K RAMKarte funktioniert richtig. MOS Befehle D/F in C000-FFFF können lesen und schreiben richtig.

Das ist ja schon mal gut das die 16 kB RAM arbeiten.

ok vielen DANK -

Ich gehe mal zur P2 und melde mich dann.

• Ich habe bei dem 7406 nicht PIN 4 - sondern Pin 13 mit dem 8202 PCS Pin 33 gefunden!

Mit Ohmmessung (akustische Signal gesucht) .

Welcher 7406 gehört dazu?

Ich glaube, dass beide PIN4 und PIN13 zusammen verbunden sind. Dass konnte theoretisch sein, um das Eingangsignal wieder zu herrichten (7406 ist eine "Open Collector"). Aber du muss auch PIN4 mit den 8202 PIN33 verbunden, oder?

Irgendwie musste ein Ausgang der 7406 mit dem 8202 Pin 33 verbunden sein.

Auf jeden Fall, könntest Du auf 8202 PIN33 direkt messen?