SuperSoft HRx - Versuch eines Neubaus

• For the hr40b/hr80 The capacitor is actually 2.2uf and the resistor is not 200k but 47k.

Yes for the HR40b, I have a 2.2uF and 47k so that should be at least fine!

they can offset the character count on the screen so the previous line ends with R of ready for example.

I dont think that there was a shift. The only difference at powering up was, that the last "column" of pixels was always inverted. If it should be dark, it was bright and if there was a pixel from a character, it was dark, which will results in bright vertical lines.

If you have lots of vertical lines then make sure the board is pushed in all the way around the character rom and the piggy back socket is correctly mounted over the crtc chip … also the cable isn’t shorting on other pins in that socket.

For connecting I used your thread in the vcfe forum (#6) Supersoft HR-40(b) hi res graphics board | Vintage Computer Federation Forums (vcfed.org). FOr the other connections (which go to J4 and J9) I checked the linked entry at CBM hackers with your pictures of the HR80 to crosscheck the colors, which should be also connected fine.
    I couldnt find any clear figure which connects the exact pinout between the HR40b cables and the CBM board.

I think we couldnt really find an issue with the connections, but also not with anything related to not working ICs on the board.
    Which Char-ROM and Graphix ROM do you use for the HR40b? Is it possible you could read out the ROM and add it here?

Thanks a lot,
    Cheers, Thomas

• Thomas , no problem… I can post here. I have also been studying the HR40 board and cannot see anything obviously different to the original board. I think I am going to have to build it up myself to look at signals etc.

The edit rom firmware is uploaded here

SuperSoft-HR/Firmware at master · sjgray/SuperSoft-HR
    Project to Clone/Improve the SuperSoft High Resolution Graphics Board for CBM/PET - sjgray/SuperSoft-HR
    github.com

The character rom is the same as I posted earlier in this thread ….

Andy

• AndyG

Building up the HR40 is the way to go, I think... angst

If your board is running, we will have to check AGAIN or change every single IC until it works.

I'm sooo interested in doing weird hardcopys with the 30/4022 printers! :love:

I can grab my 3032 with HR40, if you want to know anything.

All I can say is: No matter what's plugged into the mainboard from HR40: Startup always green with black cursor.

That's something you could test, maybe... Unplugging every connection (J4/J9/2114 piggyback/three clip-wires) and check if your startup screen is still "normal" as it should be.

Best regards and THANK YOU for all the help,

Matthias

• Some extra photos of the connections …. For the hr-40b

Black = pin 22 J9

White = pin 21 J9

Grey = pin 14 J9

Purple = pin 18 J4

Blue = pin 17 J4

Blue overlay socket adapter —- first connection pin 4 of crtc …

• Watch out for how the Yellow wire is connected to Pin 11 of UE4

It easily shorts on other pins …. Been a real pain and found that again today when I pulled the board out and got a weird boot screen. Was that yellow wire connected to pin 11 of UE4

When I first got the hr40b board the previous owner found a point on the motherboard where there was a through hole 🕳️ connected to that pin where they soldered a vertical post to clip onto.

• The edit rom firmware is uploaded here

Thank you, the HR40 has exactly the same ROM as the HR40b! OK, then I will try the SuperSoft HR40_2532.bin!

Thank you for the pictures! The only thing I am unsure is the soldering of the 5 cables on the HR40b side. Do you have a picutre of the bottom of it?

• Let me check it again to be 100% sure on the edit rom as it is not the same as the hr40. The hr40b is for the crtc fat-40. I was not by my laptop last night.

• Thank you, the HR40 has exactly the same ROM as the HR40b! OK, then I will try the SuperSoft HR40_2532.bin!

I have checked my files and this is the correct 4k edit rom for the CRTC FAT-40. In a previous post I gave Matthias the version for the 9inch 3032 Basic 4 (non CRTC)

• Erm you guys are going to hate me loads !!!

Got some good news and bad news ....

Booted up fine .. had some trouble with the ram overlay board but after some wiggling it worked.

• Had been thinking - try basic 2 as I may have missed something in converting to basic 4 though sure I tried it in the past. The PET booted normally no inverted screen etc.

Also make sure you have no EPROMs in the main pet motherboard at $9000 and $a000 … those should be plugged into the supersoft board.

• Make sure you have no add on roms plugged into the main pet motherboard …. As it uses address space $9000-$afff. Add on roms can be plugged into the supersoft board.

• Had been thinking - try basic 2 as I may have missed something in converting to basic 4 though sure I tried it in the past. The PET booted normally no inverted screen etc.

Also make sure you have no EPROMs in the main pet motherboard at $9000 and $a000 … those should be plugged into the supersoft board.

Basic 2 didn't work at all- I think the white sockets could also be the problem. :(

What is your 3032 doing when you unplug the socket for editor ROM in the mainboard?

Why do I have green screen? Even unplugged everything except the board itself? :(

I DON'T GET IT. :(

• Some observations along the way as it took too long to put the old board back.

(1) remove all add-on rows from the main motherboard.

(2) I got flickering lines and line drawings similar to yours - traced that down to poor connections with the onboard RAM and possible 2114 when reinstalling the old board. Maybe when installing the clone (but think that maybe poor soldering of the ribbon cable) - try gently pressing along the ram chips and other connections and see how the screen changes

(3) For basic 2 you need the basic 2 edit rom/supersoft which I posted but attach here again

(4) Going to recheck the BOM and IC positioning to make sure nothing wrong there.

supersofth409inchbasic2.bin.zip

• My PET booted as normal with the Superset board (clone) installed - no inverted screen. The white sockets could be an issue - I have those also ... used a generous dose of Dioxit Gold over the contacts ....

• AndyG

Ok, I try to explain the situation at the moment:

- BASIC 2 isn't working (maybe because I didn't change the editor ROM in the card

- BASIC 4 is showing me green screen with black cursor, no matter which plugs/cables are plugged in

- Card is working somehow, but starts drawing in the middle of the screen, green screen can be corrected with 59650,5

- Sockets in mainboard are the white ones- EXCEPT EDITOR AND CHAR-ROM! I already changed them for the card to precision sockets

- 3032 is running completely normal if card is deinstalled

WHAT can cause the green screen? The plug to video ram? NOPE, because it's always green screen when card is plugged into mainboard only in editor/char-ROM sockets.

So I think the problem MUST BE the card itself or the data in editor EPROM?

*edit* You were faster:

Can you show us the BOM from your HR40 card? Maybe there is one part (IC) different?

I absolutely do not understand, why there is the green screen... it doesn't make sense, every part is soldered in correctly... :(

• Aaaaah you are faster... :D

I try your list here first:

• I noticed something different on your photo - around IC13 you have a large capacitor - I just put in a 100nf cap. Not sure if that has anything but its a difference

I noticed something different on your photo - around IC13 you have a large capacitor - I just put in a 100nf cap. Not sure if that has anything but its a difference

• AndyG

I tried your Basic2 ROM- AND NOW DRAWING IS FINE! :love:

Still green screen at startup- but after SYS 59650,5 and 59650,C everything is fine:

So there must be a problem with the basic 4 implementation in your basic 4 version.

But that does not tell us, why there's still green everywhere. :D

Startup:

And lets go drawing:

Green screen... WHY? I don't think it's a problem with the 10-pin socket, since drawing is working now?

• AndyG

Cap didn't change green screen problem.

When inserting the original CHAR ROM, behaviour is identical except inverted screen AFTER SYS59650,5.

Before (startup): Still green screen, black cursor- so NO inverting @startup!

What could cause that problem? Should be the only remaining one (ok, and it would be nice if it could work with basic 4).

• I really don't know - its as if the character rom is not seen until the board is activated.

Mine was correct from the start. Can you sweep out the IC's with different ones to see if that has an effect ?

Apologies for the basic 4 - I will have to relook at the disassembly code to see what I missed as thought I caught everything.

• if you put in the original character rom - do you get a normal boot screen (inverted screen) ?

I just pulled the Char rom from the board and read the 2716 eprom - attached here but identical to what I posted previously

supersoft9inchcr.bin.zip

Hi Andy,

I tried the original MOS Char-ROM. Same behaviour @startup (green screen, black cursor).

When I type 59650,5 and ,C the screen stays inverted (green background, black text), but other than that -> exactly the same. So CHAR EPROM should also be ok and not the problem. :(

I really don't know - its as if the character rom is not seen until the board is activated.

Mine was correct from the start. Can you sweep out the IC's with different ones to see if that has an effect ?

I will try to sweep all the 74LS logic and try again, yes.

So crazy, really. :(

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von CBM_Ba ()

• Drawing works, I used my DB HPGL Reader and changed "!LINE x1,y1 to x2,y2" to "SYS 59650,SL,x1,y1,x2,y2" and here we go:

Only the inverted screen at startup and basic 4 incompatibility remains.

AND another sad story: HR40 3022/4022 screendump is a loadable program! But we do not have it, from what I could see. :(

So no Hardcopys on the good old printers. :(

• Das kann man doch nachprogrammieren. Bildschirm auslesen und auf den Drucker geben.

Hab ich damals für meine MDG-Board auch selber programmieren müssen.

• i-Telex 7822222 dege d

• technikum29 in Kelkheim bei Frankfurt

• Marburger Stammtisch

Douglas Adams: "Everything, that is invented and exists at the time of your birth, is natural. Everything that is invented until you´re 35 is interesting, exciting and you can possibly make a career in it. Everything that is invented after you´re 35 is against the law of nature. Apply this list to movies, rock music, word processors and mobile phones to work out how old you are."