SuperSoft HRx - Versuch eines Neubaus

• 6116 RAM? Tester says OK, but they didn't work in the Data Becker.

Well i guess then they are fubar. The tester just doesnt test the edge cases well enough.

I ordered new ones, but due to easter... :(

GNGNGNGNGN I don't want to wait! D

zitruskeks Firing up the 4022 and print wild things out of the HR40 is the goal we all want to achieve! :D

• If you use sys59650,1 you enable the ram only and you can try and see if you can change it via the TIM.

What also is strange is that on book you get the white screen which changes when you send the poke command. Will check you photos in more detail to see if I can spot anything

Ok, RAM is not recognizeable at all:

I‘m not able to change one of the „9F“s so something different like „FF“. :(

When I try that, a question mark appears in TIM.

So maybe I have to wait for the Hitachi 6116.

I also tried to use an oszilloscope- activity on the ten data lines from UF8 to the 6116.

• Suggests the latch is not working …. When I get back will send the full edit rom which is basic 2 … you will need to overlay the basic.4 code … I enable my board with the sys59650,5 command.

You are not getting the vertical bars …. Check the J4/J9 connections ?

The screen should not be inverted on boot up …

• Suggests the latch is not working …. When I get back will send the full edit rom which is basic 2 … you will need to overlay the basic.4 code … I enable my board with the sys59650,5 command.

You are not getting the vertical bars …. Check the J4/J9 connections ?

The screen should not be inverted on boot up …

Ok, is "the latch" an IC on that board? You see I am way too far away from "deeper electronics". ;)

And why do I have to change from Basic 4 to 2?

SYS59650,5 is doing nothing at all. When I write a program like this:

10 FOR A=1 TO 100: SYS 59650,SL,1,1,A,A:NEXT

I get random flickering, veeery small lines on the screen, which disappear immediately. Looks like the flickering of the old PET 2001 (kind of). :)

So something IS working? The SYS commands seem to work (for example the "C" command is taking longer time to execute than 59650,5).

Connections to J4/J9 are double checked and work fine (0 resistance between plug and card).

• Take the ram chips out … does it boot to the normal pet screen ? If you enable the board with sys or poke does the display change ?

Nope. Without RAM the screen is still green with blinking cursor on startup, nothing else.

Only POKE35000,4 is changing to normal screen.

• Ok the points to a problem with the board ….. ummm ..

I also changed IC15 (LS245) and IC4 (LS373) - nothing's different.

Does the board only work with Basic 2? I have Basic 4. Which EDITOR-ROM BIN-file do I have to use? I'm confused... :D

• No I works with basic 4 - it’s just my board is basic 2. The screen should be like the normal pet boot screen … only when you enable the board does it show the vertical strips etc.

• Maybe I used the wrong BIN for the editor?

My 3032 shows the green screen as soon as I turn it on- without any SYS commands…

So you don‘t think it’s the RAM?

• Agreed - something is wrong with the edit rom. Just got back and uploading the roms now - it seems I may have disassembled the rom and re-compiled for basic 4 ! will upload both

• Archive.zip

Zip file contains 2 edit roms - the original which is basic 2 and what I re-compiled for basic 4 as I can see my .asm file but was a while ago.

This is for the HR40 board in question.

The latch is at $88B8 for the board which is what you are using bt I always enable via the sys command

• Ok, as soon as I‘m back I will check it out!

The Basic4 file only has 2kB… can I use 2532 for it?

Ah - the basic 2 is the whole edit rom and the basic 4 from $e900-$efff. Sorry about that. You need to merge it with the basic edit rom. Let me check.. yes I am uploading the whole rom now.

• just saying... there are almost no bypass capacitors on that expansion board (maybe 1 for each 4 or 5 TTLs).

This in addition to these long wires, it is quite unlikely that this thing will work, isn't it?

its a clone on the original so I hope it will work .. :)

• AndyG

Ok, with your last file I'm able to see some differences:

- Startup (as before) green with black blinking cursor

- Entering SYS 59650,5 now gives me a screen with many horizontal lines (that DIDN'T work with the old version of the HR40-editor ROM I found)

- I'm now able to see M9000 9040 when entering SYS 59650,5 (there are FF's and sometimes 00's, before there were 9F's everywhere!

But I can't change values, I always get the question mark behind the changed value when I try that.

That's all. No more changes at all.

Here are a few pictures:

SYS 59650,5 now changes the green screen to something readable:

And I can see the RAM- here without SYS 59650,5:

And here after switching the board on with SYS 59650,5:

Entering POKE35000,4 (so that everything is readable) brings back the 9F... that's why I had to enter it blind after the other things.

All connections seem to be fine... I think, now there is a point I cannot continue except waiting for the RAM.

But why is there a green startup screen? :(

• Ok with a mix of ff and 00’s and if you issue a sys59650,c… you get more ff’s the it’s working but there is a problem with the board. It could be ram but what concerns me is the boot screen should be normal.

The bars should be vertical not horizontal

This needs @zitruskeks…

Have you tried sys59650,1 and tried to change the memory manually ?

• Have you tried sys59650,1 and tried to change the memory manually ?

Yes. I'm not able to edit it. Everytime I try, I get the question mark behind the value I tried to change.

I tried 59650,5 and 59650,1 (switched the PET off between tests)- no chance to change values.

I also more and more think of a problem with the board... maybe it's one of my TTL logic ICs? But they were all new and freshly ordered for this project from reichelt.de .

I tried SYS59650,C - you are right, then nearly every value is FF! But the screen looks crazy with all the horizontal lines.

BR,

Matthias

• If most of the memory of $ff then the ram is ok … there are some ram locations used for drawing etc but if most turn from 00 to ff then it points to logic …. I guess I am going to have to pull the board and buzz out the tracks against the clone board to figure out what’s not right …. Unless someone has another idea

• If most of the memory of $ff then the ram is ok … there are some ram locations used for drawing etc but if most turn from 00 to ff then it points to logic …. I guess I am going to have to pull the board and buzz out the tracks against the clone board to figure out what’s not right …. Unless someone has another idea

Comparing the clone to your original is a really GREAT idea, Andy!

Would be nice if you could do that. angst :love: